Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-t35575.html)

MadQuilter 01-31-2010 08:01 PM

In a different thread someone did a comparison between the Janome and the Pfaff, and if I had to do it again, I would definitely check out the Janome. (I'm a Pfaff girl) One of the best comments was that the Janome does not pull the pieces down into the feed dogs (a real bugger with the Pfaff). I know some people who LOVE their Janomes.

check out this thread too - it fits right in with your questions
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35599-1.htm

Olivia's Grammy 02-01-2010 05:20 AM

Yesterday I made a list of the the sewing machines stores and their phone #. Three of the machines are sold at one store. My DIL is going to go with me next Sat. The store with the 3 machines is pretty close to her. Plus I'll get to spend time with my DGD. I'm going to call the other stores to see if their machines have the features I want. Also I want an idea of the price before I drive that far. Of course all the stores but one are at least an hour drive from me. A friend told me that her friend saved over $800 last year by buying her machine at the Sewing Expo, which is what I hope to do. Some one suggestioned a Kenmore. I'm going to check that out also. Thanks for every ones imput. Where else can we go to get so many honest opinons :?: :?: :?:

Deb watkins 02-01-2010 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
In a different thread someone did a comparison between the Janome and the Pfaff, and if I had to do it again, I would definitely check out the Janome. (I'm a Pfaff girl) One of the best comments was that the Janome does not pull the pieces down into the feed dogs (a real bugger with the Pfaff). I know some people who LOVE their Janomes.

check out this thread too - it fits right in with your questions
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35599-1.htm

I would be one that loves the Janome - Memory Craft 4900

JoyVoltenburg 02-01-2010 05:57 AM

I have had a BabyLock Decorators Choice for 4 years now and love it. It has a top loading bobbin. It's been a very dependable machine and I have great service from my LQS. I've never had any problems with it.

Esqmommy 02-01-2010 06:39 AM

If you buy at the expo, will you be able to get the classes and extras that come with purchasing from a dealer? I bought my machines from a dealer...they have been really good about doing my servicing more quickly since I bought from them. Sometimes they have 3 week waits for their servicing work! Also, have you looked at the latest Pfaff's? They are amazing. I have a 2048 Quilt Expression. I also have a
Bernina 440 QEE, which I love. It doesn't have the IDT that the Pfaff does, and if it's a must, then you won't be happy with a Bernina. It does have the stitch regulator, and I have had no problems with it feeding material thru.

Olivia's Grammy 02-01-2010 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
If you buy at the expo, will you be able to get the classes and extras that come with purchasing from a dealer? I bought my machines from a dealer...they have been really good about doing my servicing more quickly since I bought from them. Sometimes they have 3 week waits for their servicing work! Also, have you looked at the latest Pfaff's? They are amazing. I have a 2048 Quilt Expression. I also have a
Bernina 440 QEE, which I love. It doesn't have the IDT that the Pfaff does, and if it's a must, then you won't be happy with a Bernina. It does have the stitch regulator, and I have had no problems with it feeding material thru.

Which ever dealer I would buy from is an hour away. I have a pretty dependable repair person close to me and that's where I take my machines for servicing. I have the Pfaff 7570 which I love, that's why I want the dual feed dogs, that is a must. I looked at Baby Lock, they don't have top loading bobbin, which is the second must. I keep my machines in cabinets. Without the top loading bobbin I am constantly having to lift the machine out and back in. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not getting any younger and my upper body strength is my weakest so I am planning ahead. I don't need the sitch regulator since I have a long arm.

Esqmommy 02-01-2010 06:54 AM

To be honest, I have not seen a difference having IDT and not when I'm doing regular sewing...

billsgirl 02-01-2010 07:38 AM

All right! What's your secret? How do you set a FW at a scant 1/4" anyway?
No, how do you 'SET" your FW at any needle position? I had to buy a "Little Big Foot" when I used my mother's FW! I thought
ALL FWs were strictly straight stitch!
Aren't they?

Befuddled!

Bill's Girl

Olivia's Grammy 02-01-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by billsgirl
All right! What's your secret? How do you set a FW at a scant 1/4" anyway?
No, how do you 'SET" your FW at any needle position? I had to buy a "Little Big Foot" when I used my mother's FW! I thought
ALL FWs were strictly straight stitch!
Aren't they?

Befuddled!

Bill's Girl

I measure from the needle 1/4" then came in closer a "scant" then I put a strip of mole skin where I wanted the seam to be. On the other machine I again measured 1/4" from the needle and use another strip of mole shin. I do have a 1/4" foot for the FW which I remembered after the fact.

Rose Marie 02-01-2010 08:05 AM

The Viking Sapphire has the top loading bobbin and it is so easy to change, no lifting the machine out of the cabinet or even the insert.
After reading so many things about other machines I am glad I have my Viking.
It also has a setting for 1/4 inch and I just move the needle to get a scant. The 10 in throat is great too.