Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New or Used Sewing Machine ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-used-sewing-machine-t93169.html)

MoMiMi 01-23-2011 01:10 PM

I have finally made up my mind I need a new sewing machine. I am sewing almost every day on my Mother's old worn out machine. The new ones are so expensive and I was wondering if you fine sewers out there would recommend a used machine over a new one? Have you had good luck? Thanks for your comments.

B. Louise 01-23-2011 01:16 PM

I think it depends on what kind. I wouldn't buy a used singer made with plastic parts, but my mother's singer from the 1950's is a work horse. I have a Janome that is 20 yrs. old. I'm using it for almost all my sewing. It only has one "bell" and no "whistles"--a computerized buttonhole. I think about a newer machine, but I also think about paying other bills! I think you can get a reasonbly priced used machine if you look on Craigs list or at a local shop, and try it out first.

good luck!

117becca 01-23-2011 01:17 PM

i think it depends on what you want to do w/ it. Are you just piecing on it, or do you machine quilt? Do you like to do machine embroidery? What are the other things you might sew on your machine?

Now go and look for one. A used machine found on craigslist would probably allow me to get more of the bells & whistles that i might not normally look for.

I personally love my old Singer Fashionmate - it's heavy duty and i am fine w/ just straight and zig zag stitches..

Maggiesmom 01-23-2011 01:18 PM

If you go to a reliable dealer, they often have good used machines. They have usually been cleaned up and checked out, often with new parts if needed. Talk to a dealer they take in good machines as trade ins when people upgrade.

amma 01-23-2011 01:41 PM

If I was going to buy used, I would buy from a reputable dealer, and ask for atleast a 30 day warranty while trying it out :D:D:D

ktbb 01-23-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by McQuilter
If you go to a reliable dealer, they often have good used machines. They have usually been cleaned up and checked out, often with new parts if needed. Talk to a dealer they take in good machines as trade ins when people upgrade.

I agree strongly with going to a reliable dealer...with one exception - if you or a friend/family know and can repair machines on your own, use Craigslist or other public sales means. I prefer the dealer since I know I can take it back to them for further work if needed.

And yes, I think a good used one is as good as a new one.

pocoellie 01-23-2011 01:57 PM

I would definitely consider a used machine, except newer Singers. I've bought 2 older machines from a dealer, and still have them and occasionally use them. Basically, I bought them as back ups. I've also bought 3 older machines at thrift stores and/or yard sales. I've even bought a couple at auctions, but they are much older, 30's I think. I definitely second the reputable dealer, but if not a dealer, I would definitely make sure the machine works to your satisfaction.

irishrose 01-23-2011 02:02 PM

My go to machine is a 1974 Elna and in the last month I've bought a 1952 and a 1956 Singer. The Elna does everything except embroidery and the other two are just straight stitchers. I'm hoping the 1956 301 will be my FMQ machine. I like my solid metal machines, obviously. I've heard the 1952 128 will be good for piecing, but she's not clean enough to work heavily yet.

The only machine I'd want to buy is an embroidery machine, but the budget says no and my reasonable side questions how much I'd use it.

I would lean towards used unless your budget allows for one of the higher priced new ones. Mine did in 1974, but not now.

Pam B 01-23-2011 02:07 PM

I would go to a reputable dealer...explore the different machines and decide what brand you like the best. I happen to prefer Viking machines. Most dealers will have trade-in machines that you can purchase at much less than a new machine. Just because they have been traded in does not necessarily mean there is something wrong....many ladies are always trading up to the newest, top-of-the-line machine. Both of my machines are used...and they are great machines. I bought them at the LQS I go to most often.

Blue's quilting mama 01-23-2011 02:11 PM

When my old machine was dying, I looked and looked, and tried out machines at the dealer....and then found the same machine at Sears with the Kenmore name, for over $100 less than at the dealer. Point? Check around, and sew on the machine before deciding. Sometimes there are great deals on craigslist, but, make sure you can sew with it and that it works.