Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Years project.....I need help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-years-project-i-need-help-t28705.html)

KBunn 11-14-2009 10:58 AM

Ok....if I manage to wade my way through the WIPs I have going for gifts this holiday season my gift to myself....and from DH is to finally turn our smaller spare bedroom into a sweing/craft room. My whining and complaining finally convinced hubby that I needed my own space. Actually I think it was the late night pins in the foot from me sewing in our bedrrom that did the trick!! Regardless of the reason....I will actually have my own place to work now. Since I am on a limited buget I more concerned with function then decorating at this time. My biggest problem ....like everyone....is storage for my stash!! But any hints on "must haves" and "definately don't dos" would be great. I am so excited I have to force myself to work on things that need doing now rather then planning and arranging that room!! :-P

lfw045 11-14-2009 11:14 AM

My budget is limited and those plastic drawers......the ones with 3 or 4 narrow drawers at the top and 3 to4 large drawers at the bottom are serving me well.....I have three of them. I store stash in the big drawers and notions in the narrow drawers......everything is at my fingertips and they are on rollers...

I got them at Walmart......about $15 to $20.

Shemjo 11-14-2009 11:19 AM

I prefer shelves myself. I have some tubs, but the one I want is always under another one. I would like shelves to put my tubs on.

Tippy 11-14-2009 11:24 AM

I have a couple of bookcases (yep, cheapies from WalMart) to put some tubs on and to just stack fabrics on. I always keep my eyes open when I'm in a store like WalMart, K-Mart or Target for roll around storage or other pieces of furniture that would make good fabric storage. you can also get "cubes" at Home Depot or Lowes to stack that make good storage units

sdparent 11-14-2009 01:32 PM

I have a bookcase with a countertop on it hooked to the wall, the bookcase serves double duty it holds my stash and holds up one end of the countertop. Check your local lumber company's bargain barn for bar tops, usually they are much cheaper there. I just set up my new room and it is so great to have a space of my own. Enjoy!

carrieg 11-15-2009 03:34 PM

Someone on this board recently posted about her cutting table - It is a wooden door attached to the top of a dresser. So drawers for storage and a great cutting table too.

Make sure you don't scrimp on lighting tho.

butterflywing 11-16-2009 09:29 PM

i didn't do this and i still may. i'd like to get two (or as many as will fit) cheapo unfinished narrow matching dressers with drawers at the right height, and put my door-sized cutting board/ironing board right on the top. the dressers would support the board and provide tons of storage for things that i could actually find. maybe. or not. it would not be for large stash.
but it would hold patterns, embroidery thread, plastic zip lock bags, etc.
this time i would like them to match each other.

Iluv2quilt 11-17-2009 03:00 AM

I keep my stash on a 5 shelf bookshelf and in the plastic drawers too. Now I'm overflowing onto the floor with piles of fabric everywhere and need to do some reorganizing myself. Just don't want to spend the time not quilting.

tlrnhi 11-17-2009 03:27 AM

I had some of my stash on bookshelves, but had to give them up for the books. lol
Now I have some dressers and an armoir that my fabric is in.
One word to save you money...ok, 2 words. THRIFT STORE!!!
One of my dressers came from there. Is a nice sturdy 4 drawer and it was $20. You can also find book cases there for little money also. I would check those places out before going to Walmart, KMart or the like.

zennia 11-17-2009 04:36 AM

My husband built me ceiling to floor shelves on one wall. I bought plastic tubs from Wal-mart to keep projects in and put them on shelves. I also have built in cupboards to store fabric in but like the shelves better. Eaiser to see what I have and keep track of what I am working on because I never just work on one thing at a time.