Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie in need of some puff-quilt advise. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-need-some-puff-quilt-advise-t201977.html)

Cleosine 10-01-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm going to test out what Daylesewblessed mentioned and if it isn't puffy enough for me, I'll go with the more common method of making a puff quilt. :)

Ps 150 10-01-2012 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the traditional, pin and tuck method that you mentioned, but I used the larger piece on top and I loved it. At first, I wasn't too sure about how it would look, but I loved it.

Daylesewblessed 10-02-2012 04:31 AM

Ps 150, I love your quilt! It looks like a field of marshmallows. It is such a contrast in texture from the flat machine overquilted quilts that seem to be "in" these days. Thanks for showing the picture -- words could not have captured the wonderful look that your quilt has.

QB is so great for seeing the wide variety in styles of quilts and giving us inspiration to try them!

Dayle

lenette 10-02-2012 07:42 AM

I made one years ago and the squares were the same size, each pleated, sewn together, turned right side out and stuffed. Then I zig zagged them together and it was reversible. It was loved by my entire family. As it wore out, I'd take off the worn squares and resew it, eventually making it a twin from a queen size. It was really comfortable.

Cleosine 10-02-2012 08:00 PM

PS 150- Thank you for posting that! Your quilt is beautiful, I really love the design on it. <3

<br><br>
Also for anyone who may know- to sew the squares together is clear thread a good idea to use or should I just stick to plain thread in a semi-matching color? I want it to be nice and strong so it doesn't fall apart but I've heard clear/plastic thread isn't the best for quilting.

auntpiggylpn 10-02-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cleosine (Post 5558365)
PS 150- Thank you for posting that! Your quilt is beautiful, I really love the design on it. <3

Also for anyone who may know- to sew the squares together is clear thread a good idea to use or should I just stick to plain thread in a semi-matching color? I want it to be nice and strong so it doesn't fall apart but I've heard clear/plastic thread isn't the best for quilting.

I am machine stitching my puffs together and I am using Coats & Clarks Dual Duty XP (my favorite thread, I use it for EVERYTHING!!!) My quilt is various colors of batik like prints so I am using an off white. It doesn't really matter as the seams will not be showing. I will be putting a back on my quilt and then will be tying it with probably a perl cotton using a surgeons knot. I am also planning on putting a binding on it.

Ps 150 10-03-2012 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5558386)
I am machine stitching my puffs together and I am using Coats & Clarks Dual Duty XP (my favorite thread, I use it for EVERYTHING!!!) My quilt is various colors of batik like prints so I am using an off white. It doesn't really matter as the seams will not be showing. I will be putting a back on my quilt and then will be tying it with probably a perl cotton using a surgeons knot. I am also planning on putting a binding on it.

I also put a backing and another layer of batting on mine with a ruffle and binding. I really wanted something thick and luxurious since it was a baby quilt and the extra batting was perfect for that. I didn't quilt it, but tied it between each square with embroidery floss (the thick, one strand kind and not the six strand kind).