Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie with a question about rag quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-about-rag-quilting-t35082.html)

jaman12 01-25-2010 10:00 AM

Hope you guys don't mind me asking some questions. :D

I am new to quilting but have been sewing here and there for the last few years.

My father recently passed away and I would like to make a memory quilt with some of his clothes. I have denim, flannel and cotton (think sleeping pants material). Do you think it would be possible to mix and match those 3 types of material and make a rag quilt? I would like to use his clothes for the front but will probably buy a solid color fabric for the back. I have a good bit of his clothes but plan on making a throw my mother and a smaller piece for myself and each of my siblings.

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

SherriB 01-25-2010 10:21 AM

I want to say how sorry I am for the loss of your father. :( I have made lots of rag quilts and have used flannel and cotton but not in the same quilt. My guess would be that since the clothes have been washed many times before, that it would not shrink anymore. I think it will be beautiful and a wonderful reminder of your father.

Panther Creek Quilting 01-25-2010 10:29 AM

I have seen many people use flannel and cotton together in a quilt, but the jeans material may be to heavy. Just a thought, why not use the jeans for the backing?

Sheila

ladygen 01-25-2010 10:30 AM

Absolutely, you can. I'm sorry you've lost your father, I'm glad you have his clothes and are going to do something with the, give you something to cling to when you need that comfort.

DONK 01-25-2010 10:32 AM

I use cotton and flannel together all the time for rag quilts. I've never used jeans.

jaman12 01-25-2010 10:44 AM

I was a little concerned about the differences in weight. I don't think I have enough jeans to back all of the flannel and cotton. I wish there was a way to offset the difference in weight.

nativetexan 01-25-2010 12:10 PM

can you use the denim around the outside blocks or just some in the center?

jaman12 01-25-2010 12:35 PM

I was also toying with the idea to not using batting on the denim. Just denim and cotton on the back. And for the cotton pieces use batting or flannel in the middle and cotton on the back. That may "even" out the fabric weights some. I am just brainstorming.

Marjpf 01-25-2010 01:49 PM

Sorry about the loss of your father. I know how hard that is. I have used flannel and cotton together on a top, but I don't usually follow rules. Maybe you could use the denim for the binding. That would compensate for the heavier material.

kat112000 01-25-2010 01:52 PM

Sorry about your father. How I wished I was into quilting in 1992 when I lost my father. I would have loved to turn his clothing into a quilt!!! I did keep some of his t-shits to sleep in.