Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie question about sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-about-sewing-machines-t8903.html)

Marcia 07-10-2008 07:54 PM

Great first quilt! I love your soft colors. Lucky baby :-)

b.zang 07-10-2008 08:39 PM

Very nice quilt! I love how you stitched inside the blocks rather than in the ditches, it made a nice effect.
I have never sent a quilt out for stitching. I'm not sure whether I'm just too cheap or am still thinking I can do it myself. Like you, it's been shove and squeeze every turn. With my last quilt, I tried rolling and pinned the rolls to hold them shut. I'm going back to the stuff and shove, because the rolls made heavy lumps that kept falling off the table or getting stuck and not letting the fabric feed under the needle properly. That said, as I shove, I roll too, just not fastened. And, I bought a pair of garden gloves with the cloth backs and rubber nubbly palms that work great.
You have a lot of quilting in you before you need to have someone else do it and with the beautiful start you've made, you may never send out a quilt.

littlehud 07-10-2008 08:52 PM

Your quilt is wonderful. What a lucky baby this will be. Til I got my juki machine I quilted everything on my Brother sewing machine. I found rolling the quilt made it harder to move, so I just pushed it through and it worked great. Keep up the good work. :)

Celeste 07-11-2008 12:27 PM

What a pretty quilt! I especially like the third picture because it looks like I'm snuggled under it! :D

quilterj 07-11-2008 01:31 PM

I think it is a nice quilt and good job.

DazzleMe! 07-13-2008 05:55 PM

I love the soft colors!!! Very pretty!!! I think we are all too hard on ourselves. I say relax and enjoy the process, HaHaHa!!! It is easier said than done.

PrettyKitty 07-14-2008 12:11 AM

Thanks everyone for your nice comments, you've really boosted my confidence!

Butterflyspain 07-14-2008 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Thanks everyone for your nice comments, you've really boosted my confidence!

Just something you may not have thought about, if you have a very large quilt do it in 1/4īs or 1/2īs it makes life so much easier. My first one I pushed and shoved, second one I have made in two halves and then doing the borders separately as well. Read an article where when they were on the road in the old wagons going across America they did it block by block. There is a book on how to do this and I can find out if you think its a good idea. :D
Me I am all for making life easier. :D Elle

sandpat 07-15-2008 04:57 PM

Yep, I do all mine on a regular machine. I fluff and stuff the quilt through the hole! The last one was 102" x 96" Good luck!!

judee0624 07-15-2008 05:13 PM

:D That's very good work for a first timer! You did an outline quilting with the straight lines. That isn't easy! Keep up the good work. I,too, have a small throat on my machine. I just finished a lap and a twin sized. Pushing and shoving the fabric is what you have to do. It is worth it, as you have found out.

judee