Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie quilter & member..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-quilter-member-t204960.html)

AutumnWyn 11-03-2012 06:18 AM

Newbie quilter & member.....

Good morning.
Hope everyone is having a decent weekend. :) I'm Tess & am about to embark on my first quilt. I have done a few pillows, one baby quilt (Noah's ark) & am looking for advice on the best batting for squares to be sewed together as a double quilt. The squares are of Wolves & I'm looking for the cheapest but nicest batting I can find. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada & although my winters are cold I'd rather have a thinner but warm quilt. Heehee!
Any help at all or advice would be wonderful. My grandmother is a quilter & she taught me but she's not as young & nimble as she use to be so I don't want to bother her. I quilt by hand (machines scare me. lol). I look forward to learning so much here & getting to know you all.

Thanks for reading & have a wonderful day!!

Abby'smom 11-03-2012 06:29 AM

:) welcome from se TX from another handquilter -- great advice and inspiration on this site!!

PaperPrincess 11-03-2012 06:43 AM

Welcome from Michigan! I would recommend a natural fiber for batting. Cotton is my choice. Wool is wonderful, but spendy.

Neesie 11-03-2012 06:49 AM

Welcome, from Texas! Another possible "batting" choice would be a layer of fleece. It's not overly thick but it's very warm.

Tartan 11-03-2012 10:42 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I have used the batt in a bag from Walmart to hand quilt a quilt but I have not used it to do squares. Cotton batts tend to grab the needle more than polyester so an all cotton batt might be a little more difficult to needle. Hopefully someone can direct you to the brand that will work the best for you.

gollytwo 11-03-2012 11:14 AM

Welcome from New Hampshire
I too like a thin batt - Hobbs Thermore is my favorite

Patti25314 11-03-2012 12:27 PM

Welcome from WV! I bought batting by the bag until I discovered that it comes on bolts just like fabric. If you have a store that sells several types, then you can touch them and see what you like best. I, too, also used to do hand quilting, but machine quilting is much faster. Try the stitch in the ditch method (means sewing in the seam or as close as you can get). This is a nice way to make it all stay in place, too.

AutumnWyn 11-04-2012 05:54 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful welcomes & I will be looking into all the advice. Heehee. I use to use the Walmart batting in a bag but the walmarts here in Nova Scotia have stopped selling the panels & batting for quilting. :( Very disappointed, but what can you do?
Thanks again to all for the welcomes & advice. I look forward to learning more from all.

karenpatrick 11-04-2012 05:57 AM

Welcome from Indiana. You'll love all the help and inspiration you'll get here. If you have a quilt shop, you could go there and feel all the batting and then choose the one you like the best.

Thumbelina 11-04-2012 06:37 PM

Hi Tess, welcome from NE Ohio.