Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie trying to understand quilt as you go (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-trying-understand-quilt-you-go-t23610.html)

Shemjo 08-12-2009 08:28 AM

Thank you Miss Ann! I live alone as well and I am always discovering new treasures! I love it! However I fear having company! :? They just don't get it! My critters and I like it just like it is!

BTQ, thanks for posting your method. I printed it out and will study it later and see how I can incorporate it with all the stuff that is in my head. I have played around with machine quilting and do mostly hand quilting. I have most of Goergia Bonesteel's lap quilting books and tapes and couldn't sort out what is hers and what is mine when I quilt! :? I do feel like a sponge!

MissAnn 08-13-2009 10:30 AM

Okay, I'm back. Power outage 6 hours yesterday. After I got electricity back, just about dark, it was too hot to sit at the computer.

After I signed out, I realized I didn't tell you what to do with the last block on the row. On this block, you attach sashings to the left and right sides of the block. Then attach the top sashing with a corner block at each end. Attach that to the block. This lining and batting piece will, of course, be larger. Cut both larger, as described earlier, even though it's the last block. When I quilt, everything seems to move to the right. This may not be necessary for other quilters, you will have to experiment with this to find out what works for you.

On this block, quilt within two inches of the left edge of the sashing, and, as described, start at the top edge on the inside seam of the sashing and block. On the left side, start the left side as described previously. But on this block, you can quilt all the way to the right edge. Just keep everything at least two inches from the bottom edge.

Once you have two rows of quilted blocks, turn the right sides together and stitch the second row sashing to the top bottom row of the blocks.
Turn right side down. Trim any batting if necessary, so there is no overlap. Then trim one edge of the lining as you did on the blocks. Turn over side of lining over and blindstitch. I use a lot of pins, some basting and a lot of smoothing to make sure I don't have any puckers or bubbles.

Now, when you're quilting blocks without sashings:

Line up the lining, batting and block as described in the beginning. The left edges and top edges should line up. You will have extra batting and lining on the right and bottom edges.

Quilt the inside of the block with outline quilting or a transferred design. quilt the top left block with quilting from the top and left edges. Leave two inches from each of the right and bottom edges. All top row blocks are done basically as described for the blocks with sashings. But on the following rows, the only blocks where you will quilt to the edges are the left and right end blocks. On the blocks in the middle of the following rows, just do not quilt closer than two inches from any edge. Once you set two blocks together, you finish the back side as described before, and then you finish the quilting on the part of the blocks left unquilted.

I have a feeling I'll think of something else after I log off.
And of course, anybody with specific questions, or something you need clarified, please PM me.

Also, please remember that it took me a while to get used to quilting like this. I actually practiced it first on potholders. I used to make potholders to sell at church bazaars and other places, and that's when I first tried this, and, of course, eventually got it down pat.

MollieSue 08-13-2009 11:03 AM

Thank you, Miss Ann!!! I've got it all saved to print off.
Also great idea of starting with potholders! :D