Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

amymarieski 07-30-2011 05:09 PM

Another thing that helped me was a guild UFO challenge. There are lots of different ways to do it, but we were to commit to finishing 6 projects, 1 each month, over a 6 month period. We had to be very specific about our projects. Then on that certain day each month, we were supposed to bring that month's project to the guild to show that it was done. If not, we had to pay $5.

Well, guess what, it cost me $30!!! Then we had a party for everyone who participated with lots of pies, cookies, etc. purchased with the money collected. Needless to say, I felt that I could have brought 1 or 2 friends with the money I had contributed. But, I had worked hard on each and every project, and even tho they weren't finished they were much farther along than they would have been.

Anyway, just an idea!!!

DeniseP 07-31-2011 09:06 AM

I think I'm doing well when I cut four baby quilts out of my stash and then go out and buy double the material I just cut. You can ask the blind to lead the blind.

DeniseP 07-31-2011 09:06 AM

I think I'm doing well when I cut four baby quilts out of my stash and then go out and buy double the material I just cut. You can't ask the blind to lead the blind.

SingerSewer 08-01-2011 10:37 AM

Recently I decided to reorganize my stash. It became crystal clear that I needed to use a substantial amount before I bought anymore. I have lots that I wonder, "What was I thinking?" when it was purchased.

My goal is to make most of the gifts this year and see where I am come the first of the year.

IAmCatOwned 08-01-2011 10:49 AM

Stop going into the store. That helps. In addition, allow yourself to buy a fat quarter, just not yardage.

I know and get it. I actually have a goal now as I'm buying a Bernina tomorrow, so that is the end of my fabric purchases until it's paid off next year. The only exception is fabric needed to finish a project. Even swaps are on hold because nearly always, I need to buy at least background fabric.

If you can't help yourself, then make a goal. Leave the checkbook and credit card at home. Take $30 and once a month, that is what you have to spend. When it's gone, you can't buy more.

If you tend to buy online, then you need to DELETE all your links to fabric places. They will still be there. There will still be cool fabric.

Finally, ask your enabler friends to help you by not reminding you of sales or reasons to go to the fabric store. If you go shopping, remind yourself - is this a want or a need? If a want, don't buy it.

It's really hard to discipline yourself when you are in a habit of buying whatever you want, guilt later.

MellieKQuilter 08-01-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
TAKE YOUR SPOUSE. HE'LL FOLLOW YOU AND PUT THE DAMPER ON BUYING MORE....voice of experience

I sure wish I could do this!! :) I am not married, and my BF and I dont discuss our spending (well, we dont dictate each others spending). :)

MissJMac 08-11-2011 01:40 AM

Make a friend at your local police department, have him/her fit you for a ankle-bracelet that emits an electrical shock whenever your body comes in contact with your charge card or checkbook. If that isn't feasible in your case, forget it and spend, spend, spend..... LOL

doris.meek13088 09-29-2011 12:37 PM

I have a friend who only buys fabric for her current project. In some ways I envy her until I get a little down and make the time to just go downstairs and look through my little fabric friends. I try to justify it to my husband my reminding him how much more expensive it would be to have me go to a human for help (or drink heavily for that matter) He just rolls his eyes.
The other thing is that since I go out looking for bargins often, I do not have as much inevested in each project as she does.

charmpacksplus 09-29-2011 12:45 PM

Sorry, I can't help you this time. In fact, I'd love to sell you more fabric when you decide it's time to add to your stash :D