Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it normal?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/normal-t209038.html)

#1piecemaker 12-22-2012 01:01 PM

Is it normal??

If you are using the same kind of thread on your longarm machine each time, is it normal to have to adjust the tension with ever change of color? I've been having to re-adjust every time and I've never had to do that on my regular sewing machine. Just wondering if it was me, my machine or common occurance.

TexasSunshine 12-22-2012 01:22 PM

I am a newbie at LAing and am finding a LA machine is totally different from a regular machine. Your tension does have to be adjusting frequently. When I first got my new machine and tried on my own I got frustrated with it because it was not sewing like I thought it should. Then when the dealer came out and watched me sew she gave me lots of tips and good info. My problem was in the way I am moving the machine and what the stitch regulator was set on. I am doing a lot better now and am improving.

dunster 12-22-2012 02:04 PM

I haven't noticed this myself, but I've heard that some colors of the same kind of thread need different tension because the dye make the thread thicker.

Dolphyngyrl 12-22-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5735154)
I haven't noticed this myself, but I've heard that some colors of the same kind of thread need different tension because the dye make the thread thicker.

This is especially true of black

AliKat 12-22-2012 10:08 PM

Even how full the bobbin is can affect a LA.

Cindy60545 12-24-2012 02:31 AM

In the short time I've had my LA, I've found the same thing. Different colors of the same thread have different properties. Black is the worst offender, because they've run it through the dye vat several times. And yes, it gets frustrating. I find it is usually with the cotton threads that this happens. I don't have it so much with the polys. This is why I primarily use the Glide thread...consistency. I don't know the technical side of how they make their thread, but it's the most consistent that I've found.

Sewgood 12-24-2012 06:14 AM

Yep.....totally normal. I will empty a bobbin and fill it again using the same thread, winder and everything. When I put it on the TOWA gauge the tension will need to be adjusted. I figure it's the nature of the beast.

#1piecemaker 12-24-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sewgood (Post 5738065)
Yep.....totally normal. I will empty a bobbin and fill it again using the same thread, winder and everything. When I put it on the TOWA gauge the tension will need to be adjusted. I figure it's the nature of the beast.

What is a TOWA gauge? Do I have one? Or is it something you buy?

charhend 12-24-2012 06:50 AM

The Towa is a tension guide. You have to purchases it. It was one of the best investments I made to go along with my long arm. A little pricey but worth the $75.00.

#1piecemaker 12-24-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by charhend (Post 5738129)
The Towa is a tension guide. You have to purchases it. It was one of the best investments I made to go along with my long arm. A little pricey but worth the $75.00.

Where can I get one? It might be just the thing that will keep me from pulling my hair out!!