Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   not picking up bobbin thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-picking-up-bobbin-thread-t181206.html)

AshleyR 03-01-2012 03:26 AM

not picking up bobbin thread

My machine decided it wasn't going to FMQ! When I move the fabric in any direction other than "away from me", it won't pick up the bobbin thread. I use the same kind of foot that Leah Day sells. The machine is a Janome that I didn't buy from a dealer.

I've done all the trouble shooting I can think of: new bobbin, new thread, new needle, made sure foot was down, feed dogs down (tried it up, too), stitch length, played with speed, cleaned bobbin area....

It sews just fine. It just won't let me do free-motion.

This is the only machine I've ever had that has the drop-in kind of bobbin. Is the bobbin case supposed to move? I can't hand-crank it in reverse. Well, I put a little felt circle under the basket and that solved that problem, but I don't want to do that if it's bad for the machine.

I can't afford to take it to the doctor, so I'm really counting on being able to fix this at home (or I just won't be able to FMQ on it!). Help!!

carolaug 03-01-2012 03:33 AM

Are you having issues with your bobbins on all feet or just the FMQ foot?? I am not totally understanding what type of problem you are having. I have a 7700 if that is what you have I may be able to help you trouble shoot.

AshleyR 03-01-2012 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 5020941)
Are you having issues with your bobbins on all feet or just the FMQ foot?? I am not totally understanding what type of problem you are having. I have a 7700 if that is what you have I may be able to help you trouble shoot.

Just when I am doing free motion. I use a darning foot. It works fine with a standard pressure foot. I have a Janome 3022. I am adding a picture showing what it is doing.

CoyoteQuilts 03-01-2012 06:28 AM

When you are moving the material the thread is 'flexing' away from the bobbin hook and that is why it won't pick up the thread. Try a larger sized needle, you may have less problems with a size 18. Also, move your hands slower and speed up the machine. That way when you move the sandwich the needle isn't in the fabric when you move the sandwich. The bottom line is that the timing is slightly off and really needs to be checked. Good luck!

AshleyR 03-01-2012 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts (Post 5021351)
When you are moving the material the thread is 'flexing' away from the bobbin hook and that is why it won't pick up the thread. Try a larger sized needle, you may have less problems with a size 18. Also, move your hands slower and speed up the machine. That way when you move the sandwich the needle isn't in the fabric when you move the sandwich. The bottom line is that the timing is slightly off and really needs to be checked. Good luck!

I will try a larger needle. Thank you. My husband is calling around to find out how much an adjustment costs.

Dolphyngyrl 03-01-2012 07:37 PM

Did you try a different foot, sometimes our machine doesn't like certain feet. Did it come with your machine, or is it generic

AshleyR 03-02-2012 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5023405)
Did you try a different foot, sometimes our machine doesn't like certain feet. Did it come with your machine, or is it generic

It is generic. It only has this problem when I'm moving it free-motion. If the dogs are feeding it, it's fine.

Berkie 03-02-2012 03:13 AM

I had that problem once (on a different machine) but try loosening the needle & lowering it just a hair or two, then tighten it back in. Never hurts to try ;)

AshleyR 03-02-2012 03:24 AM

No, it doesn't! I'm always game for a free-fix!! I'll try it tonight! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Berkie (Post 5023771)
I had that problem once (on a different machine) but try loosening the needle & lowering it just a hair or two, then tighten it back in. Never hurts to try ;)

carolaug 03-02-2012 03:40 AM

I would try changing the needle and also do not go to fast when moving fabric. I also find the Kenmore needles are the best one the Janome for quilting. The red tip one works great.