Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not so subtle hint - what would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-so-subtle-hint-what-would-you-do-t201999.html)

LadyElisabeth 10-04-2012 09:09 AM

For sure, people who don't quilt have no idea how much time, effort and money it takes.

quiltingweb 10-04-2012 09:22 AM

Maybe this has already been suggested, but maybe she'd like to work on it with you. If I had time, I'd love to have someone come and sew with me once a week or something. Maybe you can tie it instead of quilting it. She would have a new appreciation for the work involved

Abuelita 10-04-2012 02:06 PM

One of the ladies at work mentioned that her friend was retiring and would I consider making her a Scotty Dog quilt to gift her at her retirement party (in less than two weeks) - I decided to be brave and say No. I ended up making her a pillow with an appliqued Scotty on the front - her friend loved it and I didn't have to do a rush job on a quilt!
Non-quilters just don't have any idea at all of the time and effort involved in making a quilt - I guess we make it look too easy????

cad_queen_2000 10-04-2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Abuelita (Post 5562268)
One of the ladies at work mentioned that her friend was retiring and would I consider making her a Scotty Dog quilt to gift her at her retirement party (in less than two weeks) - I decided to be brave and say No. I ended up making her a pillow with an appliqued Scotty on the front - her friend loved it and I didn't have to do a rush job on a quilt!
Non-quilters just don't have any idea at all of the time and effort involved in making a quilt - I guess we make it look too easy????

I had a friend send me an email on a Wednesday afternoon, saying that they were having a fundraiser on Saturday, and she knew it was short notice, but she asked if I could make a quilt and donate it for them to raffle off. I said no. lol.

Just Me... 10-05-2012 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5553964)
She said she wanted a bag ... by all means make her a bag (providing you want to make her something at all and not just because she was dropping hints).

I agree, I like it when someone who is accustomed to getting a regular gift from me (birthday, Christmas) hints at what they want - makes it so much easier. I do not however pay any heed to folks that see one of my quilts and say "oh, I'd love one of those", or "can you make me one?". Umm ... no.

I agree. I have a friend who tells me (pretty much every time she looks at my quilts) that she has always wanted a house quilt. I have offered to help her make one of her own and teach her to quilt. She just wants it gifted to her. We don't exchange gifts....even on birthdays....so, I have never felt obligated to make her the House quilt. While I understand that not everyone wants to be a quilter, there has never been an offer of reciprocation (not that we should expect reciprocation for a *gift*).....I still don't feel obligated. This has bothered me to the point that I haven't even made a House quilt for myself...and I want one. I'm afraid that if I do, she will see it! LOL

cheri stonespinner 10-15-2012 05:42 AM

I agree with Quiltnlady1. However if she is agood friend I'd also make her the bag. I hope that we have helped you.

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 5554029)
If she is so inclined --- offer to help her make the quilt. Gives you some friend time and teaches her what goes into making a quilt. Did this with a good friend and she is quite the quilter now.

FURBALLS 10-15-2012 05:47 AM

I would be thrilled to get a bag. As for quilting a king on the DSM, I do all my quilts on mine. I have a Singer Confidence Quilter and have quilted two kings and a queen since I got it. I use hobbs 80/20 bat.