Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   nylon net stocking thingy for thread spools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/nylon-net-stocking-thingy-thread-spools-t127270.html)

vpiltk 06-01-2011 02:23 PM

I buy them where you in a long strip from Brewer and cut them to size. But that is a great hint to pull it from the middle. It would be more secure!

Mariposa 06-01-2011 02:26 PM

If you go ask a florist, they will give them to you for free. (at least here they do!)

hobbykat1955 06-01-2011 03:15 PM

I found some at Joann's but haven't seen it since...It's great...

LAQUITA 06-01-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
If you go ask a florist, they will give them to you for free. (at least here they do!)

what are they 'called' at the florist? thanks,

jaciqltznok 06-01-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA

Originally Posted by Mariposa

what are they 'called' at the florist? thanks,

bloom nets

rookie quilt 06-01-2011 05:24 PM

if you google thread sock, there is a place called the thread exchange that sells thread sock for $1.99 a yard. works great on cones and large spools of thread. for the smaller spools, I run a seam at mid point and cut the excess off. Then fray check it.
www.thethreadexchange.com

May in Jersey 06-01-2011 07:09 PM

I have a few but only was using them to keep large spools of thread from unraveling when not in use, didn't know that they could also be used to keep thread feeding nicely when sewing = you learn something new everyday.

ewecansew 06-01-2011 07:15 PM

I got some from the grocery florist. They saved them for me and had so many they threw them away. The next week, they had a whole bunch more. FREE

GrannieAnnie 06-01-2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I have a few but only was using them to keep large spools of thread from unraveling when not in use, didn't know that they could also be used to keep thread feeding nicely when sewing = you learn something new everyday.

The reason I don't use my invisible thread more often is because the blasted stuff slides off then wrong end of the spool and wraps around the spindle. Thread socks are the ideal solution! And my hubby thinks the TV is the great wasteland!

ksules 06-02-2011 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
The other day on one of the quiliting shows, I saw a gal slip a net thingy thru the center of a spool of thread and then back up and around the spool to keep the thread from falling off. (clear as mud??)

It's a net kind of like a veggie might be covered in in the produce department.

I need something like that for my invisible polyester thead. It always falls off the back of the spool and hangs up on the thread spindle.

I know it ought to be easy to find a lot of places, but right now I'm not coming up with where.

Know where to find some?

if you go to your local florist and ask them to save you the nets that cover their roses, they usually will and these will work nicely.