Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-question-t25911.html)

BeachBirdie 09-23-2009 04:23 AM

I have wanted to try a OBW but have been a bit nervous about it. What is a good pattern to start with? I've seen so many beautiful quilts but never haing tried one I wasn't sure what the best "starter" pattern would be best.

Thanks!

mic-pa 09-23-2009 05:36 AM

I am sorry but I don't know what OBW stands for. Am I missing something here. Marge

kwhite 09-23-2009 05:38 AM

OBW = one block wonder. As far as I know there is only one block, but I have never done one.

Katrine 09-23-2009 05:58 AM

Do you have one of the One Block Wonder books? Either of these will explain the method of cutting and putting the quilt together, and how to work out how much fabric you will need, and other bits and bobs you may need.
They also explain how best to choose your fabric i.e. pattern repeat size and colour combination.
Once you have cut your fabric and put together the hexagons, you can then decide how you wish to put it together for a pleasing effect.

kwhite 09-23-2009 06:05 AM

So if I am getting this right there is only one primary OBW. but the diffrences come in how you put them together?

justwannaquilt 09-23-2009 06:19 AM

OBWs are BEAUTIFUL!
I think the difference is really in the fabric used and the way you cut it!
but from what I have seen it is all the same block, a hexigon made up of Equilateral Triangles (each side of the triangle measures the same)

dunster 09-23-2009 06:25 AM

OBW is a form of stack 'n whack. 6 or 8 layers of fabric are aligned so that the same design element is in the same place in each stack. If using 6 layers, you cut equilateral triangles (60 degrees at every corner) from the fabric after first cutting it into strips (strip length can vary). You then sew each triangles set into two half-hexagons and arrange them on your design wall, keeping each set together but not completing the sewing until the design is complete. (This eliminates sewing y-seams later.) Doing 8 layers is a little more complicated.

Sounds easy, is easy, but the book One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal (or the sequel, One Block Wonders Encore) explains much, much more that will help to make your project a success. The beauty of the finished quilt depends largely on fabric selection (she gives guidelines for that) and placement on the design wall. She also gives helpful advice for that, and it's actually a lot of fun.

The sewing is not difficult, and the finished quilt can be amazing. I thought that the money for the book was well spent. Have fun making your own OBW, and be sure to show us what you've done.

kwhite 09-23-2009 06:33 AM

OHHH I get it . How interesting. I may have to try a little one. Thank you

billswife99 09-23-2009 08:32 AM

I'm a big fan of this technique and there are several others here. Be warned. Once you start, you just can't stop!

The One Block Wonders book is what I learned from and I highly recommend it. There are also others by Bethany Reynolds and they all have stack n whack in the title. I have 2 of her books but always go back to OBW one.

Just be sure you love all the colors in your fabric because every one will be magnified in the process.

BeachBirdie 09-23-2009 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
I'm a big fan of this technique and there are several others here. Be warned. Once you start, you just can't stop!

The One Block Wonders book is what I learned from and I highly recommend it. There are also others by Bethany Reynolds and they all have stack n whack in the title. I have 2 of her books but always go back to OBW one.

Just be sure you love all the colors in your fabric because every one will be magnified in the process.

Thanks, I think I will get that book. At my local quilt shop they have a divine line of fabric which everyone says is perfect for OBW. Now my only problem is...when can I fit it in my busy schedule...lol. I need to finish 2 quilts for the shop. Then perhaps I'll actually make something for myself!