Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-no-i-use-plastic-alot-things-t88974.html)

pioneerlady 01-09-2011 11:38 AM

Plastic bags give off a gas that will ruin your fabric.

hperttula123 01-09-2011 11:39 AM

I've always used big plastic bins for storing fabric and never had a problem. But I'm always digging through them looking for stuff so they are getting to breath for a while until I put them back.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-09-2011 11:42 AM

This is one could be problem that I am NOT going to worry about! And yes, I have stored in plastic bins for years w/o problems.

justflyingin 01-09-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
This is one could be problem that I am NOT going to worry about! And yes, I have stored in plastic bins for years w/o problems.

This is exactly how I feel. And yes, I've stored in plastic with no problems whatsoever.

wolfkitty 01-09-2011 11:48 AM

Sherriequilts, I think the problem is only for very long periods of time, as in years. So you should be okay.

sewcrafty 01-09-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have had all fabric for complete quilts (not cut yet) stored in Zip Lock bags for a few years, and when I took them out, there were no problems-that's all the experience I'v had with storing long term in plastic.

Ditto! Anyway, I think I'll take my chances with brown spots when the odds I'll get a mouse, a moth or other downer are much higher

There you go!!! Please no mice in my stuff!! YUCK!!! I've stored my material for at least 16 years in the huge plastic totes and have not had a problem. I do use the clear plastic ones though.

amandasgramma 01-09-2011 11:50 AM

I agree with others....I store mine in plastic and have had no problems. I suspect someone stored their fabric while damp -- and the brown spots were mold.

Mattee 01-09-2011 11:55 AM

The solid plastics can also offgas, or release VOC's, which are chemicals that can alter the coloration of some fabrics, depending on the dyes used. Is it a common problem? Probably not. I, however, have had it happen with some hand-dyed fabrics. If it's a fabric you really care for, I suggest not using plastic.

Maia B 01-09-2011 12:11 PM

I've had fabric in Sterilite, Rubbermaid, and similar containers for 20 years, including outdoor storage units for years at a time while I traveled. I bought a house in 2009, and have been gradually unpacking, but I've been in the oldest boxes and they are FINE!

Matilda 01-09-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I just read on the Clotilde hints column that you should not store fabric in plastic as it might create brown spots on the fabric. It didn't explain further so I don't know if it means all plastic such as in containers, zip lock bags etc. Have any of you had problems of brown spots or anything else by storing in plastic?

I have heard this a few times--mostly from a sister who repeats what she hears! :lol: But i have never seen any thing happen to things stored in plastic.