Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-what-do-t208989.html)

QuiltingByCourtney 12-21-2012 06:43 PM

Oh what to do?

1 Attachment(s)
I am quilting a t-shirt quilt with an all over meandering pattern..I want the top thread to be white & bobbin to be red....my tension is well, almost perfect but you can see tiny peeps...so do just leave the peeps or....do a light gray on top & bottom? :/ here is a pic of the top sorry its not the greatest pic :/

Cyn 12-21-2012 06:44 PM

I can never get my tension perfect so I'd go with the gray ;)

jemma 12-21-2012 06:50 PM

rainbow multi top+bottom

Tartan 12-21-2012 07:21 PM

​I always use the thread that will look best on the top since that is the side you see most. I don't have a lot of success with balancing thread with 2 different colours.

dunster 12-21-2012 07:39 PM

It's possible that you're seeing the bottom thread (or top thread) through the holes that the needle makes, and those holes will close up when the quilt is washed (or perhaps even when it is taken off the frame and shaken a bit). Before deciding to use thread that isn't really your first choice, examine the stitches carefully. If it's only an occasional peep, I would probably continue with the red and white. If it's really obvious that the bottom thread is coming through to the top, and not being seen through the needle holes, then you can try to improve the tension... or use another thread.

soccertxi 12-21-2012 09:19 PM

I try to match the top thread with the bobbin thread. I am not even too fond of a varigated anymore. On Tshirt quilts I usually use a light grey or a tan. You want the tshirts to stand out. If I thought I would see any red on top, I would go with a neutral instead. I agree with Dunster. Sometimes what you think you are seeing is tension issues, when what you are really seeing is a small hole from the needle. If its a needle hole, they will relax ...esp after the 1st washing.

QuiltingByCourtney 12-22-2012 02:01 PM

Thanks everyone, I decided to go with a light gray on back and white on the top...I tried and tried and couldn't get the red to stop peeping up on top :/ oh well, the gray looks nice and shows off my quilting ;) haha...I'll post pictures when its done :)

Sande 12-23-2012 03:58 AM

What a beautiful t-shirt quilt. I love the sashing. I would really like to know how you made the sashing and how you got the seams to line up so perfectly at the corners. I am new to quilting and recently tried adding a cornerstone to sashing and had so much trouble lining up the seams.

Is there a easy to use tutorial on adding cornerstones to sashing? I tried googling for one and came up with very little info that was difficult to understand.

Again, I really love your quilt and want to make t-shirt quilts for my son and daughter some day.

piepatch 12-23-2012 04:11 AM

I would use the same thread, top and bottom. Your quilt is too nice, and too special to be covered with thread peeps!

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-23-2012 05:23 AM

I use invisible thread on t-shirt quits usually - you can get polyester monofilament from Superior Threads and it's AWESOME stuff, you can dry it and iron it and it doesn't melt.

If you're heart is set on white on top I'd definitely go with gray for the bobbin. After washing and wear those peeps can relax into loops and become more obvious. :) Good luck!

Edited to add - I just saw your repost about going with the gray, so happy it worked out well for you!! :)