Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok, am I the only one? How many times I say "no" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-am-i-only-one-how-many-times-i-say-%22no%22-t113859.html)

deedum 04-05-2011 07:36 PM

I am trying to do a very decent job at FM on three quilts I have ready! I want to become very very good! However, I am getting tired of people telling me " oh, you need to get a longarm"! Are they kidding I have only being doing this a couple years! No way am I ready for that, nor do I want to entertain that idea at this point anyway, which I state. Nor do I want to spend that kind of money. They don't get it! Oh you should take it to a longarm then, it is so difficult to quilt the big quilts they say. I point out one more time, it is not that I don't want to pay someone and that I am cheap, it is more I want to do it myself. Yes, it takes more time, but how else am I going to become good at this? GRrrrrr! Ok, I think I got that off my chest for now!

sak658 04-05-2011 07:59 PM

You go girl.......

marknfran 04-05-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
I am trying to do a very decent job at FM on three quilts I have ready! I want to become very very good! However, I am getting tired of people telling me " oh, you need to get a longarm"! Are they kidding I have only being doing this a couple years! No way am I ready for that, nor do I want to entertain that idea at this point anyway, which I state. Nor do I want to spend that kind of money. They don't get it! Oh you should take it to a longarm then, it is so difficult to quilt the big quilts they say. I point out one more time, it is not that I don't want to pay someone and that I am cheap, it is more I want to do it myself. Yes, it takes more time, but how else am I going to become good at this? GRrrrrr! Ok, I think I got that off my chest for now!

More power to you!!! I feel the same way. I only have a featherweight machine and am making do even with making large quilts. It may take longer but it costs less and I am learning a lot.

suebee 04-05-2011 08:01 PM

I hear ya! I think people are trying to compliment you when they say "you need to get a longarm". They are probably thinking wow, she's this good on a domestic, I'd love to see what she could do on a long arm. If you are fine with the machine you are using, then "THAT IS THAT"! I agree, a longarm is an investment. Maybe you could say "sure, would you like to be my first investor? LOL Just keep doing what you do and have fun.

Ladyjanedoe 04-05-2011 08:01 PM

Do what makes you happy and ignore the naysayers! For what it's worth, I'm with you in that I'd rather be the one to make 100% of my quilt.

Pickles 04-05-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Do what makes you happy and ignore the naysayers! For what it's worth, I'm with you in that I'd rather be the one to make 100% of my quilt.

Ditto on what she said :thumbup:

cherylynne 04-05-2011 08:11 PM

I agree and I don't send mine out, either. I do rent time on a long arm at the LQS, but it's expensive. I can do a meander in a morning and bring it home to sew on the binding over the next few days. I understand that others do like an experienced long arm artist to do their quilts and that's fine, too.

deedum 04-05-2011 08:14 PM

Thanks everyone! Good to have someone understand what I am saying! I kinda enjoy working with my old 15 and seeing what it can do, kinda the thrill of the chase!!! The challenge and it can be that. Someday I may graduate to something diffrent but for now I am enjoying the ride!

BellaBoo 04-05-2011 08:22 PM

Tell them what I tell them: If I wanted one I'd have one.

deedum 04-05-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Tell them what I tell them: If I wanted one I'd have one.

Wow! I like that! Your right on that for sure! Thanks!