Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok...I need some help with ideas on to pack for an emergency travel sewing kit. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-i-need-some-help-ideas-pack-emergency-travel-sewing-kit-t116652.html)

hperttula123 04-16-2011 03:07 PM

I'm not much of a hand sewer, I love my machines. But with my daughter being sick, we could have some to alot of hospital trips for us in the future. There is a Hancock close to the hospital and what my mom and I did was pick out some fat quarter packs and we make a bunch of yo-yo's. I made a cute mug rug for my daughter to keep on her table for her drink and I made a caterpillar out of yo-yo's for her. She loves it. :)
I was thinking that maybe you guys could come up with other ideas for us to have a bag packed at all times and ready to go. I can't think of much to do on my own. I know you guys can come up with something more creative that what we were doing. Yo-yo's get boring after a so many days of doing them.

suebee 04-16-2011 03:12 PM

Have you ever tried english paper piecing? that could be something to take. Hope your daughter gets well soon.

Airwick156 04-16-2011 03:14 PM

You can get those nifty knitter things that you make hats and scarves out of using yarn. They are easy to do and your daughter actually might like to make some too for her friends. I sometimes will take mine with me when my husband has a doctors appointment that takes time. I have also taken a quilt with me that needed the binding sewn on and I do that mostly.

I really don't have many ideas. But I am sure that others will have lots of ideas.
:)

hperttula123 04-16-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Have you ever tried english paper piecing? that could be something to take. Hope your daughter gets well soon.

I should look into that. I've never tried paper piecing before. My daughter is doing ok now, but she is on day 11 at the hospital. She has a chronic disease that could have her in the hospital in the future.

hperttula123 04-16-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
You can get those nifty knitter things that you make hats and scarves out of using yarn. They are easy to do and your daughter actually might like to make some too for her friends. I sometimes will take mine with me when my husband has a doctors appointment that takes time. I have also taken a quilt with me that needed the binding sewn on and I do that mostly.

I really don't have many ideas. But I am sure that others will have lots of ideas.
:)

lol...I wish I would have thought of that. I have all the hat sizes and a scarf one of the knifty knitters that I bought for the kids a while ago. See I just needed to talk to you guys to kick start the ideas. All of our heads together are better than one....lol. Thanks :)

Vanuatu Jill 04-16-2011 04:06 PM

I made a travel kit for a GFG-(English paper piecing) which I posted photos of about 4 weeks ago-cut out the hexagons from scraps and FQ's, cut out the heavy paper hexes and added the bits and pieces in the bottom tray. Would threads in different colors on bobbins and keep them in a sectioned pill organizer, snips, thread wax, paper clips (which are easier than pins), a few needles and your ready to go. It is really easy, and don't need a machine as it is all hand-pieced. I don't know how to post the link, but it is listed in my topics started. The whole kit is packed in a t-tier clear plastic snap together tote with a handle I got at Joann's.

brushandthimble 04-16-2011 04:17 PM

Do you hand applique? You could have a couple of blocks ready. Or redwork, have the design all ready and the threads and supplies with it.
Prayers for you and your daughter.

hperttula123 04-16-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I made a travel kit for a GFG-(English paper piecing) which I posted photos of about 4 weeks ago-cut out the hexagons from scraps and FQ's, cut out the heavy paper hexes and added the bits and pieces in the bottom tray. Would threads in different colors on bobbins and keep them in a sectioned pill organizer, snips, thread wax, paper clips (which are easier than pins), a few needles and your ready to go. It is really easy, and don't need a machine as it is all hand-pieced. I don't know how to post the link, but it is listed in my topics started. The whole kit is packed in a t-tier clear plastic snap together tote with a handle I got at Joann's.

I will go and check your topic out. Thanks

hperttula123 04-16-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
Do you hand applique? You could have a couple of blocks ready. Or redwork, have the design all ready and the threads and supplies with it.
Prayers for you and your daughter.

I don't normally do anything by hand, but maybe I can find some neat patterns online.

GwynR 04-16-2011 06:45 PM

I made a small travel kit with needles, thread, thread heaven, small clippers, paper hexagons, and squares of fabric. It's very small and easy to carry. I love doing that on my lunch break or while waiting for Dr. appts.
When I get a few hexagons made, I take them out and put them into another bin at home. Keeps the small bin manageable. I figure in about 30 years i can put them all together into a GFG! :-)