Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK-What am I doing wrong???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-what-am-i-doing-wrong-t133641.html)

lovelyl 06-27-2011 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making half square triangles and want to turn them to make primative stars (essentially a 9 patch with a solid square in center and half square triangles around it- See pic). I can get the 9 patch to look like a star, but the problem is I don't have the ability to sew it to another block using a 1/4" seam with out loosing the points of the stars. What I am I doing wrong? I know I am missing something simple... Help!!!!

katier825 06-27-2011 05:00 PM

Double check your measurements of the cut fabrics and also the seam allowance. They should all look like the one on the right.

AlwaysQuilting 06-27-2011 05:01 PM

I think you need to trim your white blocks larger. You don't have 1/4" leftover at 3 of the points for the seam allowance. If you look at the star point on the right, there's 1/4" of white above the point. But the other 3 points don't have that.

crafty_linda_b 06-27-2011 05:23 PM

Your losing your points...there isn't any seam allowance except for on the center one on the right side. You need to make sure that there is a little white showing above the blue. That will go into your seam and disappear. When you sew the blocks together make sure you don't sew over your blue points. Good luck. crafty_linda_b

earthwalker 06-27-2011 05:24 PM

Ok, I have made some of these and I will try to explain (hope it won't be too confusing:)). Say, you want a 6 inch total. Cut squares 2 1/2 inches (this is for the solid squares - the background and the centre of the star) for the other squares (the bi-coloured units) cut them 2 7/8 inches. When stitching the bi-coloured units be sure and keep a really accurate 1/4 inch seam. I learned this technique from a really useful book "Scrap Quilt Sensation" by Katharine Guerrier.

Doreen 06-27-2011 05:27 PM

I am in the middle of make "ocean Waves" and I used the paper half square triangles. They come out perfect everytime.

MadQuilter 06-27-2011 05:32 PM

The HST on the right side is the correct size because you have the 1/4" for the seam allowance. The other HSTs do not have the seam allowance so your measurements seem to be off on those. I would suggest you take the block apart and measure each piece to see what went wrong - then duplicate the dimensions from the correct one. HSTs are not the easiest for a newbie.

Hang in there.

How do you sew your HSTs? I generally cut my squares 1" larger than the finished HST size. Then I draw a sewing line 1/4" from the center in each direction. I sew on those lines and then cut the HST apart down the center. Press open and trim to the correct size. It IS a little bit more work but my HSTs don't lose points.

spartan quilter 06-27-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The HST on the right side is the correct size because you have the 1/4" for the seam allowance. The other HSTs do not have the seam allowance so your measurements seem to be off on those. I would suggest you take the block apart and measure each piece to see what went wrong - then duplicate the dimensions from the correct one. HSTs are not the easiest for a newbie.

Hang in there.

How do you sew your HSTs? I generally cut my squares 1" larger than the finished HST size. Then I draw a sewing line 1/4" from the center in each direction. I sew on those lines and then cut the HST apart down the center. Press open and trim to the correct size. It IS a little bit more work but my HSTs don't lose points.

This is what I do, also. Another step, but a perfect square at the end, and I have been where you are at. Think I got that hint on this board, also. It works.

NJ Quilter 06-28-2011 03:57 AM

Hang in there.

This is the way I do it as well. Works much better for me.

SharBear 06-28-2011 04:18 AM

Hang in there.

Wow - I'm trying this tonight when boys go to bed - I always put the line down the center and sew 1/4" in either side. Sounds like your method gets better results.