Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK What's the deal with the 1_4 inch seams?? Or Scant 1-4 in seams I'M CONFUSED?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-whats-deal-1_4-inch-seams-scant-1-4-seams-im-confused-t2346.html)

ArtquilterNEWWAYtoQUILT 10-10-2007 08:06 PM

:( Ok got the patchwork foot , and the stitch on the computerizied machine but why do some of the ladies seams LOOK Soooo much tinier than mine, I think piecing is NOT my Thing!!!!

patricej 10-11-2007 02:03 AM

which ladies? in person or in photos? you can't tell much from photos. the difference between mine in person and what shows in pictures is like ... the difference between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. only Jekyll shows in pics. :lol:

don't get caught up comparing the details of others' quilts to yours. first look to see if, overall, it's pleasing to YOUR eyes. if you're trying to gauge your own skills development, compare the most recent results to your first attempts.

i feel great about most of my work unless i look at some of the other quilts you can see on the internet. Uber-Quilters. wouldn't know a mistake if they fell into it face-first. if i judged mine in comparison to theirs, i'd probably go back to knitting! :lol:

lin 10-11-2007 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i feel great about most of my work unless i look at some of the other quilts you can see on the internet. Uber-Quilters. wouldn't know a mistake if they fell into it face-first. if i judged mine in comparison to theirs, i'd probably go back to knitting! :lol:

Umm, I've started knitting again. Does that mean I need to start seeing my phsycoquiltologist again??? :oops:

:lol:

ArtquilterNEWWAYtoQUILT 11-11-2007 08:38 PM

:? :( :?: Well I've seen some in person. I thought I'd try some BOM, and yes I have been doing Art Quilts and machine quilting and Now I'm trying this, I did have one lady online tell me to cut it a little bigger, so I might try that. I made some blocks but they aren't the same size but I was told with a sampler type it didn't matter just to build it in. Any Ideas??

Shadow Dancer 11-12-2007 05:33 AM

My 1/4 seam foot for my machine keeps the needle position just a hair shy of the 1/4 inch mark, so as long as I use the guide on the foot all my seams are the same.

Regardless of whether it's a 1/4 inch or a scant 1/4 inch, what is important is ALL the seams must be the same width.....if your seam allowances vary, even the tiniest bit in the project, you have a headache in the making. :D

kaye wood 12-11-2007 10:39 AM

If you use traditional templates to cut your pieces, you will need to use scant 1/4" seam allowances.
However, if you follow my techniques, you can use either a 1/4" or a scant 1/4", as long as your seam allowances are all the same.

A scant 1/4" makes allowances for the turn of the cloth, so that the finished project is the desired size. A regular 1/4" seam allowance will be slightly smaller when finished.

Kaye Wood
kayewood.com

ddrobins1956 12-11-2007 04:00 PM

Wow Tim, you are truly a font of knowledge. I never really knew what they meant by a scant quarter inch either.