Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OKAY I have bit the bullet and need OPINIONS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/okay-i-have-bit-bullet-need-opinions-t19276.html)

tslowery 04-21-2009 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made these blocks in 2007 from a Quick Quilts magazine and it was a bonus from the web and I lost the instructions (imagine that) :oops: :oops: well I do not know what to do with it now? It was my first attempt at making blocks and I think it was called something like wacky logs are wacky stars it had a star on some of the center blocks. It does not go together like your log cabins light and dark to make a pattern so what do I do????Help...

mimisharon 04-21-2009 02:54 PM

I think I would use the color that's the center block as a sashing, then make a couple of borders, end by binding in the color of the centers and sashing. Very striking blocks, I really like the mix of colors.

Hugs,
Sharon

quiltsRfun 04-21-2009 02:55 PM

How about a plain colored sashing. Black seems like it would make some of the bright colors pop. Then a border fabric all around. Nice job with the piecing.

MadQuilter 04-21-2009 04:51 PM

I'm not sure I would sash them at all. I think the point of the pattern is to use a free-style log cabin.

SaraSewing 04-21-2009 05:12 PM

I agree with mimisharon. I think that black would be stunning. I'm anxious to see what you choose.

tslowery 04-21-2009 05:42 PM

Thanks for answering but :oops: :oops: when you say sashing (is that like a 3or 4 inch piece put between the blocks? duh I know that sounds dumb but I really do not know a lot about this quilting business and then I lost the directions.

tslowery 04-21-2009 05:44 PM

Oh yea the center is navy blue. Do you mean make the sashing navy are would black look good because the center is navy?

Ethel A 04-21-2009 05:48 PM

Sashing is the strip of fabric that you would place between the blocks. It can be one inch or two inches wide, and the same height of the block. I would keep the sashing the same width as each of the strips within your blocks........ just enough sashing to make each individual block stand out. I think if your sashing is too wide, your eye would focus on the sashing more (since it's dark) and not so much on the blocks. You want your eyes to focus on the blocks.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 04-21-2009 05:52 PM

I would use the navy for sashing, but I would make the sashing pretty thin, since the logs in the cabin aren't very wide ( I mean, from what I can tell in a pic), but that's just me. Someone else might have better ideas than I, I'm kind of a noob.

If you want, take a big piece of the navy fabric, and lay out all your blocks on top of it spaced out the same distance you want your sashing strips, and then take a pic. Review, rearrange, take another pic, plus you can see how you like them all put together without the sashing.

ETA: LOL, looks like Ethel and I had the same idea at the same time!

tslowery 04-21-2009 06:06 PM

Thanks. I have a big piece of the navy. I will do what you said and lay it out and put blocks on it. I will post a pic and get everyones thoughts . Thanks again I needed some help. I looked for hours for the magazine and then it said it was a bonus from the web I was flabbergasted and said what a dummy Just ask all those pros what to do and so the post.