Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this okay? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/okay-t253419.html)

GagaSmith 09-11-2014 08:26 AM

Is this okay?

I saw a quilt book with a very simple applique pattern on the cover. There is no way I would need a pattern to make it--just simple shapes--an easy to replicate childrens' pattern. Is it okay to reproduce (not exactly but certainly close) this pattern without buying the book.

feline fanatic 09-11-2014 08:30 AM

The entire world of quilting takes inspiration from others. I have made tons of quilts based on just seeing a picture. If you put the quilt in a show the proper thing to do is give credit like "quilt design inspired by *****" where you can then cite the pattern and designers name if you know it. Legally you are not doing anything wrong (like infringing on copyright).

michelleoc 09-11-2014 08:31 AM

Personal opinion here, and I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say, but I think if you are not selling the quilt it would be okay.

Eisy 09-11-2014 08:33 AM

I can't say if this is legal or not, but I would do it especially if the quilt was for myself and not for sale.
Any how, you said you would make some minor changes, right.

Lori S 09-11-2014 08:39 AM

The world of design would be very narrow if you could not "create' from what was seen. Think about all of the runway gowns that within days have same or similar available in stores under a different label from the original. Think about how many roofs and other details in home construction are duplicated. Quilts are no different.
Proceed with confidence no one will show up with hand cuffs or no summons will appear in your mail box.

lynnie 09-11-2014 08:41 AM

Everytime i look around i see a different name on a quilt. why not use a different color and it's a different quilt.

joe'smom 09-11-2014 09:07 AM

I would follow your conscience. The fact that it occurred to you to ask, suggests you think you should buy the book? If you really do think you should, it will probably niggle at you if you don't.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being inspired by a picture of something and adapting the idea for your own use.

Onebyone 09-11-2014 09:14 AM

I wouldn't take a picture of it or sketch it out, from the book. I'd look for a picture of it online and use that as a guideline or make from memory.

ManiacQuilter2 09-11-2014 09:52 AM

I have seen quilts that I like but I usually make some change that I prefer and make it my own. I took the BQ pattern, shrunk it, set it on point and made a very lovely table runner. We who have EQ have the ability to draw any simple quilt out quickly change the size of the blocks. I don't mind buying a magazine or pattern but it really has to be something original for me to want to buy it. So many rehashed pattern out there.

Tartan 09-11-2014 10:14 AM

Well the big quilt magazine seem to take public domain patterns, rename them and expect you to buy the magazine. If the appliqués shapes are public domain images, why can't you do the same?