Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   old Bernina 830 electronic repairs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-bernina-830-electronic-repairs-t105000.html)

amBoo 03-04-2011 02:41 PM

Hi - I am getting a Bernina 830 that doesn't run. The seller thinks it might be the motor. Are parts still available for these machines? I know it might be a costly repair but thought it might be worth it to try and fix.

any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

aurora41 03-04-2011 02:54 PM

I have an old Bernina 830 that was recently serviced. It works fine. I do not use it that much because I am most familiar with Pfaff. I am sorry I can not give you more info.

Scrap Happy 03-04-2011 03:13 PM

Hi amBoo, I don’t know if parts are still available for these machines or how ready available they are. Do you have a sewing machine repair person you can call to ask?

Shelbie 03-04-2011 04:07 PM

It probably is the motor. I put the motor out of mine after 25 years of use. I repaired it (it wasn't cheap- $200) as the Bernina 830 Record is a wonderful machine and still sells well. My closest Bernina dealer recently offered me $450 for mine as they are in high demand by the Mennonites in this area. If it's a freebie then it is probably worth fixing.

Emmy Sue 03-04-2011 04:15 PM

There is a Yahoo group called "Bernina Thirtysomething" that deals with the older machines. several Bernina techs are on it and offer advice and answer questions. Don't give up on your 830 (older model I presume. ) They are repairable and the parts are available.

amBoo 03-04-2011 04:22 PM

Thanks for the replies! It's not free but I think I'll go ahead and get it tonight. I didn't have time to check with a repair service or anything but it sounds like it might be worthwhile to get and try to have fixed. I signed up to the Yahoo group.

Fingers crossed I'm not making an expensive mistake!!!

running1 03-04-2011 04:25 PM

The "old Bernina 830 record" is a work horse! I received mine from my mom and dad for graduation from college in 1975... I have it serviced regularly and my dealer says they are in high demand... When I began to look at getting a new machine, he told me to never get rid of my old trusty 830... I'll bet that just about any Bernina dealer can help you out!

amBoo 03-04-2011 07:53 PM

Just thought I'd follow up. I picked up the machine this evening. My husband opened up the motor casing and the motor is not connected. I've asked over on the Yahoo board for a wiring diagram or help that they may be able to offer.
Maybe it will be a simple fix. If not, I'll take it to a Bernina dealer.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Loretta Mazur 04-08-2011 11:58 AM

Hi, I have a Bernina 830 (mechanical). Love, love, love this machine. The only small problem I have is that the 1-20 stitch regulator on top of the machine gets out of sync every once in a while. I don't need to have it serviced would just like to fix it myself. Can you help? This machine was a classroom demo purchased in 1982. Would not part with it. Thank you.

iluvmycats 04-08-2011 12:29 PM

I took a bernina machine into our local dealer and we got to talking about the old 830's that are still so popular and fetching a good price on e-bay. He said it is getting more difficult to get parts when repairing the 830's. He said machine companies cannot keep manufacturing parts for these older machines, it's costly and they have other models they have to concentrate on. It's too bad, but I can understand where he's coming from. I owned 2 of the old 830's but sold them. I'm currently in love with a Singer 301A and have been using that for my quilting.