Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Older machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/older-machines-t116581.html)

Painiacs 04-16-2011 10:00 AM

I want to buy an older machine. Any suggestions? Plain singer? Featherweight? Other model? Just want to straight stitch so I can quilt. The only thing else ido is appliqué stitches and I can use other machine for that. I need a machine that will last and be a workhorse and that I can do repairs if needed.
Thank yoU!

cabinqltr 04-16-2011 10:08 AM

I would recommend a Featherweight, Straight stitch, reverse and easy low cost maintainance ( do it yourself).A little oil and motor lube and a brush to get the lint and you are good to go. It will last to be handed down and still be serviceable. Can you tell --I love those cuties? Use mine all the time. Ruth

Char 04-16-2011 10:11 AM

Featherweight - definitely!

pennijanine 04-16-2011 10:15 AM

I would say a Singer 301. I think it is a bit more heavy duty than the FW. Straight stitch and the feed dogs lower for FMQ. I love mine!!

Annaquilts 04-16-2011 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A 301 the big sister of the Feather weight. (you can take this one along too and even has a cute cary handle) Other ones would be Singer 15-91, 201 but you need some strogn arms if you'd like to take them along to class.
We have two Feather weights and two singer 301 but the Singer 301 is the one that gets used. Other nic emachines are the Elna Supermatic. It sews like a dream. I am pretty sure the after market feet, quarter inch, walking foot, free motion foot, that work for my singer 15-91 also fit on my Elna Supermatic. Many of the signers coem in nice cabinets. With older machines you might need to replace the cord and have some one look at it and clean it unless you can do it yourself.

Singer 301 when it arrived home
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185137[/ATTACH]

Elna Supermatic this machine has cams and can do zig zag and othe rnice stitches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185138[/ATTACH]

Singer 15-91
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185139[/ATTACH]

quiltsRfun 04-16-2011 10:41 AM

Featherweight or 301.

emmah 04-16-2011 10:50 AM

The Singer 99--it goes on ebay for about $50 or less. It is so user friendly, easy to clean, maintain, and small enough to tuck under a table when not used. Lots of parts and attachments are available for it, also. Or its plain version: the Spartan. Add your own decals or stickers to brighten it up. I got a Singer 99 this weekend at a yard sale for $35.
I know the featherweight is nice, but very expensive. If you are not going to be lugging the machine around, save the money-------------for fabric!

iluvmycats 04-16-2011 12:00 PM

I would look at a 301a Singer. They are gear driven machines, whereas the Featherweight is belt driven. If you are going to by an old Elna, before you spend the money, find out if the old Elna dealers in your area still have the old parts. Elna was sold to Tacony, but Tacony did not buy the dumpster(really, a dumpster)filled with Elna parts. Then Tacony sold to Janome, who now makes the Elna machines and also the Kenmore machines. Another nice machine to consider would be a Singer 403. It comes with cams, so if you like to do applique, you'd be covered there. Good luck with your decision. Blessings, Nancy

hobbykat1955 04-16-2011 12:19 PM

just got a black short bed 301 and a two tone 301a in a cabinet...they are both dreams and what a straight line...They get my vote

okiepastor 04-16-2011 12:24 PM

A 15-91 gets my vote for a single machine!
I have one that I am using today, or you could look at an older Viking--IF you can find one! 5230s are great machines.