Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One Block Wonder Book(s) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-block-wonder-book-s-t111899.html)

SugarD14523 03-30-2011 02:29 AM

If someone (ie. ME) wants to try this and doesn't have any of the three books that are out, which one or ones should I get? I really want to give this a go.

Painiacs 03-30-2011 03:05 AM

Go on yu tube! There an easy tute!!

gaigai 03-30-2011 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Go on yu tube! There an easy tute!!

No, in my (and k3n and katrine) opinion you really cannot do this without the book. There are so many things to consider, that no video or tute alone can explain. Like I've said before, it's a complex process, but not necessarily a difficult one.

I would recommend the first book, One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal. Once you get the book, there are lots of people who are happy to help you. Good luck.

woody 03-30-2011 03:41 AM

I started with the second book, One Block Wonders Encore which gives you all the basics of the Hexagons (not Octagons though) and a range of the cubes if you are interested in them. If you are not interested in the cubes then the first book would probably be better.

k3n 03-30-2011 04:06 AM

I agree with both Gai and Woody! Actually it depends if you think you'll prefer hexes and cubes or you might like to try the octogans as well. But whatever, you can't do these well without a book. All the free tutes and stuff are inadequate and doesn't go far enough with the design advice which is the main issue with these - the piecing is pretty straight forward. I have however done a You Tube tute myself on joining the rows and my persnickety way to match the points and press open seams but this is an ADDITION to the book NOT a replacement for it by any means.

DebraK 03-30-2011 05:08 AM

I agree with the advice given, and now I'm off to check out k3n's persnickety youtube ;-)

k3n 03-30-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I agree with the advice given, and now I'm off to check out k3n's persnickety youtube ;-)

Oooohhh - and I never felt a thing! :mrgreen: :lol:

amma 03-30-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by woody
I started with the second book, One Block Wonders Encore which gives you all the basics of the Hexagons (not Octagons though) and a range of the cubes if you are interested in them. If you are not interested in the cubes then the first book would probably be better.

I agree with woody, either of these two depending on where your interest lies :D:D:D

SugarD14523 03-31-2011 02:48 AM

Thanks for all the advice . I know my Joann's has the third book in the series. I'll have to see if they have the first or second.

dunster 03-31-2011 03:30 AM

I bought the first book (before the other two came out) and was very happy with the depth of information in it, except for the lack of explanation on how to do the hollow cubes. I then bought Sara Nephew's book, Big Book of Building Block Quilts, which has instructions for the cubes. (Maxine Rosenthal, author of the OBW books, gives credit to Sara Nephew in the first book.) I haven't purchased the next two OBW books, so I can't speak to how well they compare with the first.