Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One of those days, have you ever had them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-those-days-have-you-ever-had-them-t167124.html)

Pat P 11-08-2011 03:39 PM

One of those days, have you ever had them?

Have you ever had one of those days when you knew you should have never picked up your quilt. Especially if something or someone else is on you mind? Was working on the back on one of my African quilts. Had made a special border to go on the sides and top and one thru the middle. Trying to figure out how to get the back to match the top in width and length. Cut the initial pieces too small. Had to add on the top and bottom. didn't com out right on one end, had to rip/ Then corrected that and while trimming up the cutter did a left tun out into the back. Time for an iron on patch and zigzag as not enough backing to cut a new piece. Ugh persevered but felt like I had put two quilts together.

Murphy 11-08-2011 03:42 PM

Everyone has something like this at times. Sit back, relax, have chocolate and breath deep. Start again tomorrow and perhaps it will all look much better. I hope tomorrow is brighter (smile).

mighty 11-08-2011 04:08 PM

Yes, take a deepbreath, walk away for a few minutes, regroup, and try again.

suern3 11-08-2011 04:20 PM

Yes, I have had that happen. It was just as you said, something else on my mind, in fact my little grand-daughter was spending the day with me. She was playing so well by herself, I thought I could surely just finish up the binding on her daddy's quilt. Of course I cut the ending strip too short and ended up having to piece it together later. I just knew when I picked up those scissors I shouldn't make a cut! But it was a good lesson, never again will I cut anything when I'm in the least distracted! I feel your pain :)

BarbaraSue 11-08-2011 04:23 PM

Oh my. Those days are very frustrating. And the problem for me is that I don't seem to know I'm having one of those days until I sit at my sewing machine and work on something. I have learned thru experience that if my head is fuzzy or not with me (my DH says "How can I tell?") I won't sew on the quilt or I'll ruin it. But I have been known to have made a mess of anything else I sewed on on "those days".
I like Murphy's idea-- go have chocolate! That makes everything better, or at least me feel better. Can't go wrong with chocolate.

cinson7 11-08-2011 04:56 PM

Yes I had one of those days.Just a couple of days ago. Took a very deep breath and had 2 or three cups of coffee. It will be better tomorrow

CarrieC 11-08-2011 05:15 PM

UGH I hate those days. I have them - sometimes too often, but there are two pieces of good news - CHOCOLATE and TOMORROW!!! :)

LindaM49 11-08-2011 05:20 PM

Yep...the seam ripper and I spent a lot of time together yesterday and today. The line looked like it was sewn perfectly straight when I attached the flap to the bag I am making for my son's girlfriend. But when I cut the threads and picked it up...it was crooked. So had to rip out through double layers of fabric and batting. I can't remember what I had to rip out yesterday. Anyway...when I finish ripping out the mistakes I usually take a short break and forget about it. By then I'm calmed down from being so mad at myself and then I start sewing again.

Carron 11-08-2011 06:39 PM

I hear your cry and I too can relate. :( As suggested, walk away for a day or even more if needed. Chocolate usueally does give one a better outlook when taken several time during the stress period !:D

Cheshirecatquilter 11-08-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pat P (Post 4653886)
Have you ever had one of those days when you knew you should have never picked up your quilt. Especially if something or someone else is on you mind? Was working on the back on one of my African quilts. Had made a special border to go on the sides and top and one thru the middle. Trying to figure out how to get the back to match the top in width and length. Cut the initial pieces too small. Had to add on the top and bottom. didn't com out right on one end, had to rip/ Then corrected that and while trimming up the cutter did a left tun out into the back. Time for an iron on patch and zigzag as not enough backing to cut a new piece. Ugh persevered but felt like I had put two quilts together.

Yup, had those days. Remember, the quilt is just a bunch of pieces of fabric. You merely added a few more pieces.