Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opening new Quilting Retreat - Need your input! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opening-new-quilting-retreat-need-your-input-t6068.html)

creativehearts 04-10-2008 09:56 AM

Hello,
I am in the process of opening a quilting retreat in Iowa. It is actually a crafting retreat where there will scrapbooking as well.

I don't know a lot about quilting but wanted to get your input on what types of things you would like to see in a retreat. I want to make sure I have all of the necessities as well as the extras!

Thanks for your help!

Deanna
www.creativeheartsinn.com

zyxquilts 04-10-2008 01:13 PM

1. :D Chocolate...no I'm kidding, well, not TOTALLY kidding, but.....

In no particular order....
A large, well-lit room with sturdy tables for the sewing machines & cutting mats - I get really irritated when the table shakes while I'm sewing or flexes when the rotary cutter is open!
Lots of electrical outlets and extension cords if needed.
Several, well, at least 2, ironing boards & irons.
Enough wall space for design walls so we can 'audition' our quilt blocks.
Chairs that have padded seats - or even office-type chairs that can be adjusted up & down.
Access to a fridge for cold drinks/water. Snacks - maybe even some fruit & veggies to counteract #1! :wink: If it will be an overnight retreat, nice family-style food?

Anyone else?

ddrobins1956 04-10-2008 03:27 PM

I would love to go to a quilting retreat. I've never been to one, but I sure do like the thought of going to one. Everything that zyxquilts listed sounds good. Is this more like a bed and breakfast atmosphere or a hotel setting?

Quilting Aggi 04-11-2008 03:47 AM

I have thought of coordinating a quilting retreat here sometime. I have been in the process of getting all my students to fill out questionaires and contact info sheets in my class. I will soon set up a database of their information and I am planning to send them a newsletter quarterly. In it I will also offer private classes, and am seriously considering a retreat too.. Perhaps I'll look into it for next Spring. I could also do a full day retreat here where I teach as I have this little one room building to myself that I teach out of. My supervisor said I can book it anytime I want should I want to conduct other little retreats or something. hmm maybe I might do one of those in the Fall.. Start at like 9am .. stop for a little lunch, sew on again, stop for a supper, and sew until say 8-9 in the evening. I would put little games and prizes together. I might do a mystery quilt for this retreat!!! What do you think???

BDor 04-11-2008 06:21 AM

zyxquilts wrote

1. Chocolate...no I'm kidding, well, not TOTALLY kidding, but.....

In no particular order....
A large, well-lit room with sturdy tables for the sewing machines & cutting mats - I get really irritated when the table shakes while I'm sewing or flexes when the rotary cutter is open!
Lots of electrical outlets and extension cords if needed.
Several, well, at least 2, ironing boards & irons.
Enough wall space for design walls so we can 'audition' our quilt blocks.
Chairs that have padded seats - or even office-type chairs that can be adjusted up & down.
Access to a fridge for cold drinks/water. Snacks - maybe even some fruit & veggies to counteract #1! If it will be an overnight retreat, nice family-style food
Sounds like she pretty well covered everything. Oh yes, good lighting and please have the cutting tables at the right height . We had a mini retreat at our church and we put paint cans under the table legs and it worked great. Made it just right and no back ache.

bebe 04-11-2008 06:30 AM

Here is alist of things I would like to see in a retreat house!!!
I went to a retreat recently and thought the house was adequately furnished.
1. Beds with quilts on them.
2. Washer and Dryer.
3. Computer w/ Internet and copy machine.
4. A rooom w/ fabrics such a blenders and notions such as sewing machine needles, rulers and such.
5.Continential breakfast since everyone wakes up at different times.
6. A porch with rocking chairs.

Hope your retreat house turns out!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Bebe