Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions/Ideas??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-ideas-t215340.html)

HillCountryGal 03-03-2013 07:29 AM

Opinions/Ideas???

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to decide if I should add strips between the blocks... (?)
Rearrange the blocks... (?)

What would you do? The person I'm making this for prefers darker/subtle colors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]399440[/ATTACH]

DebbE 03-03-2013 07:35 AM

Have you tried turning the blocks? You could end up with an interesting pattern or two that way. I do that when I make up blocks, before sewing anything together - to see if there is something else I might like better. What fabric line has the Texas blocks? I'd love to buy a few of those to make a quilt for my son, who used to live in Texas....

HillCountryGal 03-03-2013 07:39 AM

DebbE, not sure I still have the side strip to let you know the fabric line. I'll check. It had a total of 8 blocks. The other are rodeo/cowboy pictures.

I did try turning the blocks. Couldn't figure out what to do with the picture blocks though.

nativetexan 03-03-2013 07:50 AM

do you have anymore of that really dark blue fabric. if so, i'd add that around the Texas blocks instead of the lighter fabric showing past the blue on them. I don't think sashing strips are needed since the person you're making it for likes dark. but a border too would help.

mighty 03-03-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5900857)
do you have anymore of that really dark blue fabric. if so, i'd add that around the Texas blocks instead of the lighter fabric showing past the blue on them. I don't think sashing strips are needed since the person you're making it for likes dark. but a border too would help.

I also think this would look good.

HillCountryGal 03-03-2013 08:04 AM

Yep, I've got more of the really dark blue. Probably when I sew the picture squares, the light border will disappear.. that was the plan anyway. :D But if they're not "right sized", a dark blue border would help it pop.

Please, keep the ideas coming. Thanks!

sahm4605 03-03-2013 08:08 AM

i think the dafkest marble blue should be added. the solid blues are throwing me i think. maybe pull ot those and do something else there. also turn some more of the blocks. it is a lovely quilt. maybe pull in a deep brown or rusty color. those solid blues seem out of place to'me. wrong tone or shade. the darkest one is fine how ever. i think thgat if the blues had texture to them like all the other fabric they would work but they just draw the eye too much. but this is only my opinion. good luck. post the final product. would love to see it.

Emma S 03-03-2013 08:33 AM

Just a thought. Maybe complete the squares on the outside by turning them and then put the pictorial blocks down the center. Can't quite picture how it would look but might work.

bigsister63 03-03-2013 09:22 AM

Have you tried putting the picture blooks ramdonly in the center. I think they get lost as cornerstones. Are there any other pic blocks that you could you for that center? Also I think that the bright blue is throwing me off since it is the first color that I see. I would try putting the pic blocks in the center surounded by the green one that are facing with the lg square toward the center. and maybe the bright blocks as the corner stones and the other dark blue blocks as a filler. Show us what you decide.

Buckeye Rose 03-03-2013 09:23 AM

I think there is too much color grouping....a more random placement of the blocks, as well as turning some of them, will look better than trying to keep them organized....mixing them up, including the picture blocks, will draw the eyes all over the quilt, instead of just one place....I don't think any sashing is needed....just mixed up the blocks....JMHO