Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions On this on thread???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-thread-t160988.html)

MaggieBB 10-16-2011 08:56 PM

I was watching a fmq video on u-tube and she suggested using sewers aid on the thread to make it sew better, wondering would this gunk up the machine???????? Have a new Singer XL- 400, does a really good job with the embroidery, am getting ready to do some fmq on the same quilt.

DebraK 10-16-2011 09:37 PM

???? what is sewer aid?

sewbeadit 10-16-2011 09:39 PM

Isn't that a silicone you put on your thread spool to make it run threw the needle eye smoother?

Nanamoms 10-17-2011 12:27 AM

I have an embroidery machine and I'm read on some of my embr groups not to use this, that it will gunk up your machine. I elect to err on the side of caution!!

I just use thread that my Brothers like and use a large eye needle so it doesn't break as much!

PABerard 10-17-2011 03:04 AM

I've used sewer's aid on my needle when using metallic thread OR sticky back stabilizer while embroidering. It helps it slide through the fabric easier. I don't think I would use it anywhere near my machine's parts though.

ckcowl 10-17-2011 04:35 AM

i've been using sewers aid on my threads (domestic and long arm machines) for 6 or 7 years now- it is totally safe for your machine- cuts down dramatically on lint build up- and really makes a difference with breakage problems- my sewing room would be neglected without having a couple bottles close at hand.
it was first recommended to me at a lqs- teaching machine quilting classes- they really sold us on it- and i've kept it in supply every since- it really helps with cotton threads that tend to break easily quilting-
but i use it on any thread that tangling may be a problem. or lint- or what ever

QuiltnNan 10-17-2011 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i've been using sewers aid on my threads (domestic and long arm machines) for 6 or 7 years now- it is totally safe for your machine- cuts down dramatically on lint build up- and really makes a difference with breakage problems- my sewing room would be neglected without having a couple bottles close at hand.
it was first recommended to me at a lqs- teaching machine quilting classes- they really sold us on it- and i've kept it in supply every since- it really helps with cotton threads that tend to break easily quilting-
but i use it on any thread that tangling may be a problem. or lint- or what ever

thanks for letting us know that long time use is safe.

Kath12 10-17-2011 04:57 AM

I guess I'll try some

BKrenning 10-17-2011 05:28 AM

I wouldn't be without a bottle for quilting with cotton thread. I've also been using it for 5 years and if anything, it makes the machine run better--no gunk at all. Cotton thread soaks up the silicone and just flows through the machine. It's like conditioner for very dry hair!

PaperPrincess 10-17-2011 06:09 AM

I wouldn't use it on my embroidery machine, but do use it on my long arm with cotton thread.