Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opportunity to buy a Bernina Artista 180 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opportunity-buy-bernina-artista-180-a-t21821.html)

Esqmommy 06-25-2009 02:06 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a Bernina Artista 180 for $1250. Does anyone know if that's a good price? It was purchased from a dealer in 2007, but it's a 2000 model machine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

I hear it does a stippling stich that sounds out of this world !!!!! I'd pay a lot just for that feature!

Jim's Gem 06-25-2009 02:30 PM

I have a Bernina 630 which is the same thing, basically, just a couple years newer. I love my machine. It has lots of stitches and one of my favorites is a "meandering" stitch. Does it come with the Embroidery Unit? Part of the upgrade on my machine is the Bernina Stitch Regulator foot, which is great, though not a necessary item.
I don't know about the price, I paid $2700 for mine, used, about 2 years ago on e-bay. You might check e-bay and see what they are listing/selling them for on there.

blahel 06-26-2009 12:51 AM

I have the Bernina 180 artiste and i also bought mine second hand. I paid $1500 Australian dollars for mine about 2 years ago.
I do not have a lot of time for sewing and have used it mainly to piece. I have only so far made wall hangings and baby blankets.
i am very happy with mine :-) but as i have not had any lessons I am learning as I go and I have not done any embroidery with it even though it came with all the equipment. There just doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day and when i get the time i just want to sew, sew and sew!
I love the needle down feature and the little thing on the side that you use to cut your thread with. If you are buying from a shop try to get some feet thrown in as i had to buy a walking foot, a 1/4 inch foot and a darning foot. The walking foot from memory was about $150.00 so if nothing else get that one thrown in!
I wish I knew how to use my machine to its fullest but even though i dont i am still very happy with my machine so far.
The only negative so far is the small throat space so would be hesitant to quilt a queen size quilt with it but other than that i am very happy with mine and it is my baby....

sewjoyce 06-26-2009 04:57 AM

Does this machine have the embroidery unit with it??

You might call any sewing machine dealer and ask what the "blue book" value is.

I had a 180 and just loved it but had a chance to trade "up" to a 200.

judy_68 06-26-2009 05:06 AM

I have always sewed on old singers. Wouldn't even compare to a machine like that. Good luck
Judy in Ohio

Cathe 06-26-2009 05:08 AM

I've been using a Bernina Artista 180 recently, and I quilted a heavy queen size quilt. It was bulky, but I managed it.

I don't like the very quiet humming noise it makes when you are not using it.

Shelley 06-26-2009 07:20 AM

I have a 180 that I bought used (it had 7 hours on it!) about 10 years ago. I LOVE the machine for piecing. It does a beautiful straight stitch. I quilted my own quilts on it, including a King. I DON'T recommend doing that! My arms still hurt when I think about it!

Esqmommy 06-26-2009 07:58 AM

I have a wonderful piecing machine, so I think I may pass on this one. I want one that does things my Pfaff Quilt Expression 2046 won't do!