Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ordered my first Downy kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ordered-my-first-downy-kit-t40565.html)

bstanbro 03-24-2010 02:53 PM

You know, I wondered about that too, because they specifically ask for lots of quilting so that the quilt can withstand many washings. Also, they specifically do not allow tied quilts because they can be a choking hazard. Still, there are some testimonials that indicate that at least some of the kids have taken them home. Could be that they are washed by the hospital before they are put into use. It would seem mean to me to give a kid a quilt and then take it away from them when they leave.

sunflower126 03-24-2010 04:18 PM

A friend of mine makes quilts for a neonatal unit of a women's hospital in Pittsburgh,PA. They are given to the preemies and they can be taken home when discharged. However she said that they are constantly being washed if a blanket so much as touches the floor. She had a granddaughter in the unit for several months last year. I believe they had to take the quilt home themselves and wash it but I'm sure that varies depending on the hospital.

bstanbro 03-24-2010 05:13 PM

That makes sense. I'm sure they must take the quilts home.

no1jan 03-24-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
I just received my first quilt kit.I kept seeing posts about everyones Downy quilt. Had to find out what they were talking about. The fabrics in the kit are really of a nice quality. The pattern is easy and shouldn't be too hard to quilt for those of us who don't do fmq or have a long arm.I plan to sew x's in the blocks and sid. That should meet their qualifications. All they ask is that you also include a quilt made from your own fabrics. That shouldn't be too hard for anyone. We all have large stash of fabrics. Have fun with yours. The print on my fabric is boys on skateboards. I have to come up with a good name for the quilt. Any ideas? Thought I would ask my 10 yr old GS for an idea.

I didn't see where they wanted you to make a second quilt. Where did you see that? In the kit?

:?:

If it's on the website, can you point it out? I have no center vision, so I kind of skim over the words. I can only see 3 letters at a time. That must have been in the blind spot.

I just went to Joanne's today, I would have bought more material.

:thumbup:

2wheelwoman 03-24-2010 06:04 PM

I just got my kit today. I also got the boys on skateboards fabric. On the papers that come with the kit it says for donating a quilt of your own the size should be 38"x46" and they will sew on the label when they receive the quilt. It doesn't say you HAVE to or anything, but who wouldn't want to for such a good cause. Can't wait to start mine.

melhuff 03-24-2010 07:01 PM

Saturday at the Project Linus quilt day I went to, we were told that the quilts they give to seriously ill kids are theirs to keep. The sad part was if they baby happened to pass away, they leave it up to the parents, some want the quilt buried with the baby, orthers take it home for comfort.
Again..both are great causes!
Melinda

Gramof6 03-24-2010 07:30 PM

If anyone is hesitant to do this because you feel like your work may not be up to par, look at it this way.... A child will not judge your seams or quilting lines. It will be cheerful and make them happy to recieve a happy quilt. Nobody is perfect & we all just try our best. I marked my quilting lines before I sandwiched the quilt & they turned out pretty straight. Did it on my Bernina. Good Luck & have fun.

bstanbro 03-24-2010 09:58 PM

Thanks, Gramof6. That's very good advice.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-25-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie1219
After reading your thread, I went to the link and also ordered my first Downy quilt.
Thanks

I just ordered 3. I sure hope I can quilt them, I have never done one by machine.

bstanbro 03-25-2010 04:11 PM

If nothing else, you can just do a straight line grid. It looks better than you might think and it's very easy and forgiving.