Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ott Lamp - question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ott-lamp-question-t167084.html)

ErinMarie 11-08-2011 11:37 AM

Ott Lamp - question

Can anyone provide feed back on the Ott Lamps I've seen at Jo-Ann's? Which one do you have, is there one you wish you did have (for example - going to guild meetings/retreats, or having one that clamps down,etc)?

I've seen them in the past, but have never bothered to buy one, mainly due to the price. With Black Friday coming up, I'm considering these as an option provided the price is right.

Or is there another lighting solution out there that you like?

3incollege 11-08-2011 11:44 AM

I have ott lamps. I have in my sewing room and one floor model in my familyroom . They will probably be on sale for the holidays.

Grambi 11-08-2011 11:55 AM

I have one in my studio that has a heavy base with a flexible neck (?) and a white plastic lamp shade. That one stays on my sewing table as it is pretty heavy. I also have the one that hinges open and closed and comes in lots of bright colors (it's maybe 12" tall) and that one goes to retreats or classes with me or I bring it in the house when I want to sew at my dining room table. It is very light and portable. They are both Otts that I probably got at 40-50% off at Hobby Lobby and Joanns. They are both worth every penny I paid for them.

pstrwife 11-08-2011 12:25 PM

I bought my husband a Ott floor lamp for his cross stitching. He loves it. I have a table model for my embroidery machine, I love mine also. I never seem to have enough light when I sew, so they come in handy. I used 40-50% coupons from JoAnn's to purchase them.

mighty 11-08-2011 12:25 PM

Had a floor model did not last but a couple of months. New bulb did not help whole fixture went out. Have not purchased another, a little gun shy. This was probably just a fluke but they are kind of $$.

Doreen 11-08-2011 12:41 PM

I have a 24 watt Ott light. It is a floor model. I also have a smaller one that really does not provide a good light. I did buy replacement blubs at Joanne's with a coupon. I love the 24 watt!

Opal Jane 11-08-2011 03:21 PM

I have 6 Ott lights (love them!). I buy them from JoAnn's when they are 50% off. There is one more I would like to have that holds small notions and has a handle that you can carry to class. I think it runs about $40 (50% off). The bulbs last a long time, I can't remember the last time I changed one.

ErinMarie 11-08-2011 03:24 PM

Wow, thanks for all the responses! Glad to know that the coupons work on those, for some reason I had it in my head they were exempt from it!

KerryK 11-08-2011 03:30 PM

I keep toying with the idea of buying an Ott lamp, especially since I'm getting my own *small* sewing room. But, seems I remember someone on here saying that whenever they discontinue a lamp, they discontinue the bulb for it as well. Can anyone confirm that? I don't want to spend the $$ on the lamp only to discover a year later than I cannot replace the bulb.

joyce888 11-08-2011 03:38 PM

I have the floor model and desktop model and love them! I bought the floor model at Tuesday Morning for a fraction of the price at JoAnns (don't know if you have a Tuesday Morning in AZ). I also bought the desktop at Costco or Sams.