Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Our "new walmart" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/our-%22new-walmart%22-t123372.html)

garysgal 05-15-2011 06:05 PM

Our Walmart is going Super and they have enlarged the Fabric dept. They also brought in fat quarters ($1.29 ea), jelly rolls ($10.97 ea) charms ( 100 for $10.97 ea) and fat quarter sets (7 fq for $10.97) and 10" squares ( forgot how many in a set, but they are also $10.97 ea). In addition to all this, they have brought in two or three isles of new fabric. The lady who cuts it says she is hearing that some of the Walmarts that discontinued fabric are bringing it back, but she wasn't sure which ones. It seems something (maybe greed 0) ) made them re-elavuate their stores and they are bringing back the fabric. Ours is looking really good tho.

craftybear 05-15-2011 06:09 PM

that is great news

PegD 05-15-2011 08:34 PM

I bought one of the fat quarters yesterday and I had a heck of a time getting the stickiness off from the label. First the sticker wouldn't come off, then it left alot of residue. I washed it, but it still didn't come out. I had to use goo gone, and wash it again. It still has a spot that is still gooey. I will not be buying them again.

agoldencomet 05-15-2011 08:47 PM

You must be really upset with that; I certainly would be. Perhaps you can try fingernail polish remover? It should remove the goo but not sure if it would damage the fabric. Good luck.

GGinMcKinney 05-15-2011 08:50 PM

Maybe rubbing alcohol would remove the sticky. I have not found the cut yards in 2 yard lengths to be acceptable so far. Yet, I have seen and touched some of their new fabric that seems fine.
Our oldest WalMart in town didn't get rid of fabric on bolts, but got real low. They are restocking now and say it will not be removed. At end of season she said they will decrease prices on purse kits, and seasonal fabrics on the hanging wall.

BETTY62 05-15-2011 09:03 PM

I read somewhere on-line they have lost a lot of grocery business due to the removal of the fabric departments and the down sizeing of the sports area. It seems people having to go to other stores to purchase fabric and sports related items are also going to other stores to purchase grocery items. They should have listened to the people who sew, quilt and craft before they made their change.

Bluebonnet 05-16-2011 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by PegD
I bought one of the fat quarters yesterday and I had a heck of a time getting the stickiness off from the label. First the sticker wouldn't come off, then it left alot of residue. I washed it, but it still didn't come out. I had to use goo gone, and wash it again. It still has a spot that is still gooey. I will not be buying them again.

My son got some tree sap on some new shorts one time. I read that you could use hand sanitizer and scrub it in then wash it. It took a time or two but it came out.

Bobbi

karenpatrick 05-16-2011 04:21 AM

Wish they'd bring some of those pre-cuts to my Walmart. I have a feeling that with prices going where they are, that's the only place I'll be able to afford to shop.

Maureen 05-16-2011 05:05 AM

I hope ours brings it back, you are lucky.

jbud2 05-16-2011 06:46 AM

our Walmart is remodeling and I can't find the fabric department. Cashiers keep telling it's back there, but I must be going in circles. The ladies said they aren't going to get rid of the fabric department because of Joann's coming next year. I didn't go to Walmart's for two weeks and I really didn't miss anything.