Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pain in the neck (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pain-neck-t74575.html)

Quilter4HireAndFun 11-06-2010 06:43 AM

I purchased a small chicken kitchen timer that I set for 30 minutes now...when it rings...I force myself to get up and take a break. It works. Hope you are doing better

featherweight 11-06-2010 06:48 AM

Great Idea!!!

Char 11-06-2010 06:58 AM

I have a really good chiropractor! :shock:

sylviak 11-06-2010 07:00 AM

I'm wearing a neck brace for the next 2 months, so I'll have to be extra careful. Probably won't be able to do anything for an extended period. Just tried the "modified" yes, no, maybe (can't turn my head too far) and it seemed to help. Try some ice on the neck. If it doesn't go away in a day or two, a chiropractor might be helpful. Of course, that can be expensive!

ChrisB 11-06-2010 07:09 AM

I used to have neck pain all the time from sewing and other things. I started wearing a magnetic necklace about eight years ago and it really works for me. I got mine at a craft show by a friend who makes them. There are cheap ones but are not as strong or helpful. My hubby starting wearing one after seeing how much it helped me and he also swears by them now. At times I will start to get a neck ache but it quickly goes away. We wear them all the time, only taking them off to shower. Wear next to the skin.

janedee 11-06-2010 07:10 AM

yep take regular breaks and move around - I also remember someone telling me on here as I was getting alot of neck pain and stiffness when I hand quilt or applique to make sure you are not leaning over your work - as soon as I started checking my posture most of the pain has disappeared - hope it eases up soon - one of those wheat bag things you heat in the micro help alot too

janedee 11-06-2010 07:11 AM

yep take regular breaks and move around - I also remember someone telling me on here as I was getting alot of neck pain and stiffness when I hand quilt or applique to make sure you are not leaning over your work - as soon as I started checking my posture most of the pain has disappeared - hope it eases up soon - one of those wheat bag things you heat in the micro help alot too

janedee 11-06-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by janedee

Oops must have hit the send key twice!!!!

peaceandjoy 11-06-2010 07:14 AM

I highly recommend "Treat Your Own Neck," by Robin McKenzie. It's available through Amazon and is part of a series by McKenzie. Having a pinched nerve in my neck led to not only chronic neck and shoulder pain, but constant headaches. My doctor recommended physical therapy and although I was at first reluctant (doesn't everyone who goes to PT either go forever or have the same problem as soon as they stop?), I did end up going. The PT is actually who recommended this book to me, and I've lent to several folks since then. Great exercises to not only alleviate pain, but keep it fron coming back.

Willa 11-06-2010 07:31 AM

I worked in a factory for 17 yrs. We were taught to try to keep your head in line with your spine (your head weighs around 8 lbs so if you bend your head forward your muscles have to work more. imagine holding a bowling ball, does it seem heavier close to your body or if you hold it in front of you as far as possible?) This is where your chair adjustment is important. We were also told to take small breaks frequently (such as rolling your shoulders or just standing and stretching) along with regular breaks. And yes water is a very good idea. Hope these help.