Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Panels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/panels-t213000.html)

Dingle 02-04-2013 07:45 PM

Panels

When using a panel, how do you trim around the panel and make sure your cut is straight when the panel is 46" long? I'm going to be adding other blocks with it but I'm afraid I won't get the panel cut correctly. How is this done?

Clear as mud?

Thanks

Cyn 02-04-2013 07:52 PM

I'm curious about this too :)

Wanabee Quiltin 02-04-2013 08:10 PM

I guess you are talking about a printed design on a piece of fabric ? I just made some quilts that had panels and I had to cut each one of the panels out separately mainly because they were not really even. I would definitely not assume they are even and use your rulers without seeing the entire panel. I have even used my scissors on smaller panels, to cut them as perfect as I can. I hope this answers your question.

hopetoquilt 02-05-2013 03:04 AM

I open the panel up, lay it on the cutting mat and put the ruler against the border line or edge of the design with a 1/4 inch over for the seam allowance so when I sew a border on, it lines up correctly.

judylg 02-05-2013 04:50 AM

I just finished a panel quilt, I had to cut each square as it was not square, I was happier with it. I know if I would not have done it, each time I would have looked at it, I would have asked myself why I did not do it.

TanyaL 02-05-2013 06:04 AM

I have never met a panel that was printed perfectly square. So cut each individually and carefully - usually with scissors.

cjr 02-05-2013 10:13 AM

I have used panels & pillow tops that are preprinted. Older ones were true to grain. Newer ones are NOT. size doesn't matter. Before cutting straighten old fashioned wAY-- 2 people, each holding corner of cut edge, puu with both right hands (diagnol) then with other hand doesnt always work, but usually helps some.

LQS owner says distortion happens when fabric is wound on boards.

MadQuilter 02-05-2013 11:12 AM

After I press the panel, I use my large square and my long ruler to see where the cut would fall. Sometimes I simply pick a line and stick to it. If the panel is printed crooked there is no straightening. Putting a pieced border on it that draws attention away from the crookedness is always a good idea.

irishrose 02-05-2013 12:07 PM

Wash and press the fabric to remove the manufacturer stretching, then cut it scissors. Now you can pull on the diagonal to straighten it. If all of this doesn't work, adjust the width of your borders. I've only done 22" squares, but it worked.

nygal 02-05-2013 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5839576)
I have never met a panel that was printed perfectly square. So cut each individually and carefully - usually with scissors.

I also have never had any panels that were cute perfectly to begin with. I just had to do the best I could.