Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pantograph question and general mid-arm frame question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pantograph-question-general-mid-arm-frame-question-t11150.html)

tkmg23 09-11-2008 07:13 PM

Hi - this is my first post. I've been researching and pricing mid-arm frames lately. I have a Juki TL98-QE and I'm thinking about getting the Little Gracie II with all the bells and whistles (laser stylus and speed regulator).

I was just wondering what size pantograph would be best for this set up? I think the harp on my machine is about 9"...

Also, if anyone has any general advice on the Little Gracie or anyone wants to advocate for a different frame - I would welcome it!!
Thanks!

quiltease 09-12-2008 09:54 AM

I have the original little gracie, and the new one, the little gracie II, is even better, fixing the problems I have with mine. I was using pantographs as wide as 7 inches!! Three years later, I bought the Inspira frame. What a mistake!! You have three, yes three, inches of working pantograph space. I have had to redesign almost every pantograph I have. Doing two lines without changing the position of the quilt is impossible. Twice the work. I will admit, however that I have the older Inspira. The newer model is far stronger (mine shakes and the ledge for the pantos sinks in the center and hits the sewing machine holder). The new one puts the pantos in front, like the gracie, but there is still no more room to quilt.
I am seriously thinking of getting all the improvements for the little gracie and going back to that. The stitch regulator is fabulous!! I didn't realize how great it was until mine stopped working. Much better than just a speed regulator.
So all in all, I'd say go for the Little Gracie. I bought mine in the spring and laminated it outside. It's now beautiful with and without a quilt on it.
It is fairly simple to use but you must practice, practice, practice. Do not start learning on a quilt top. Use muslin or any old cotton fabric you now hate. Be sure to practice WITH batting.
Whatever you choose I know you'll be addicted in no time.
have fun,
bev. :]

Moonpi 09-12-2008 10:30 AM

Congrats on your new toy, and welcome to the board!

tkmg23 09-12-2008 11:45 AM

Thanks quiltease and Moonpi! What kind of sewing machine do you have, quiltease?

The frame is a big investment for a beginner like myself, but I usually send my quilts to a long-arm quilter, so the frame might pay for itself within the year. I have three projects ready to go right now. But I'll definitely practice on some old muslin that I have first!

june6995 09-12-2008 01:01 PM

Don't overlook the 13 and 15 inch mid arm machines. When a large quilt is rolled in the bed of your machine, it reduces your quilting space. A 9 inch arm can be reduced to 4 inches, while a 13 inch can still quilt 9 or 10 inches depending on the thickness of the batting and how tightly it is rolled )and the 15 accordingly. The more quilting space you have, the larger design you can use.

quiltease 09-12-2008 01:29 PM

I have used three different sewing machines. The Juki you have, a Brother Nouvelle 1500S and a Pfaff hobby 1200 (which came with the Inspira frame...need I say more?). The Juki and Brother both worked fine with the Gracie frame. Please let us know what you decide. BTW, I got my Gracie through ebay..new...you never know.... :)
bev.