Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   paper piece question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piece-question-t73485.html)

jlong 10-31-2010 01:32 PM

If I plan to teach myself how to paper piece, is there a good book or quilt pattern that you might recommend?

mommamac 10-31-2010 01:34 PM

Carol Doak has some great books - check out her website - might find some useful information there.

snow 10-31-2010 01:36 PM

50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars- Carol Doak,
It also has a cd that shows you how to do it.You can also get a dvd to print out the patterns. I like It.

sidmona 10-31-2010 01:57 PM

Carol Doak books are great. You can go to her web site and get a few free patterns to start out with. Some of her stars from 50 Fabulous paper Pieced Stars are harder than the others. The one I just used from that book for my nephew's wedding quilt had 128 pieces in one block and one block took 4 hours to make. Start out simple and you should be fine.

steelecg 10-31-2010 02:42 PM

Carol Doak's dvd is excellent - step by step instruction - can't go wrong - although I am not crazy about her paper since you can't see through it.

Tracy50 10-31-2010 03:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Carol Doak has some earlier works that would be (IMHO) better for a beginner. Less pieces and more instant gratification. Much easier to work with. Also, there is a web site www.zippydesigns.com use to be their site there is also a phone # here, but they make great paper. It is thin, and u just use a sharper needle, with a shorter stitch length and it just about tears the paper for you. But, u want to keep the paper on it until you are ready to use it in order for it not to stretch or distort. If u use paper u can't see thru, we use to copy the pattern on the front and the back, so it wouldn't matter if u could see through or not! There is a heavy paper some use for that reason so as not to remove it so it makes it warmer! Zippy Designs Publishing Designs phone # is 1-888-544-7153, in VA. Now this was some years ago, so... but here's a pic of an easier book.....
okay, wait a min. I just fell. I think I need to go lay down, sorry I didn't find the book, but I will....sorry ya'll I'll show ya some more of my work instead, i've been taking pics, but i'll get back to the pp tomorrow,k?

*quilty hugs*
t

1st PP'd sm quilt I made for Woody
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116802[/ATTACH]

Pear Quilt I must Finish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116803[/ATTACH]

Robyn Pandolph Block -Cottage Garden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116804[/ATTACH]

fireworkslover 10-31-2010 06:36 PM

I used a book by Valori Wells titled: "Radiant New York Beauties", to learn paper piecing. She also gives ideas for machine quilting the patterns in the book, which I find helpful. I've also found it better to use tracing paper for the paper as it tears off much easier than regular paper. Newsprint also works well too. If you'll be using a larger pattern than your printer can print, then for sure use tracing paper to hand draw your pattern. You need a ruler and a thin Sharpie marker. Have fun and enjoy making sharp points. I would never attempt sharp points without paper piecing.

Cyn 10-31-2010 06:37 PM

This is the one I used! It's great!

Originally Posted by Phillis
50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars- Carol Doak,
It also has a cd that shows you how to do it.You can also get a dvd to print out the patterns. I like It.

sewmom 11-01-2010 07:20 AM

Jodie Davis and Carol Doak are both excellent paper-piecers. You can find free lessons on the internet.

Deb watkins 11-01-2010 07:24 AM

Just purchased Carol's 24 Marinar's Compass. Man o Man....breathe, breathe, breathe.