Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Pieced Patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-pieced-patterns-t93738.html)

Dianne1 01-25-2011 09:47 AM

I have recently purchased several patterns by Judy Niemeyer over the last few years. They are very expensive around $40-$50 apiece. The patterns have paper to finish the quilt with, but once you use them they are gone. Do any of you trace them? If so, on what type of paper. Some of the pieces are to large for a home printer. I would really appreciate the help, because I really would like to do at least one of them. Thank you all.

luvspaper 01-25-2011 09:53 AM

When I did my Judy N quilt, I was able to buy extras of the papers (outside of the ones I got with the pattern), so you might check to see if those still exist.

I am not sure how the copyright would work if you still own the pattern but run out of sheets.....interesting question!

Sadiemae 01-25-2011 10:05 AM

There should be copyright information on the pattern.

dakotamaid 01-25-2011 10:48 AM

can you trace them with a light table?

luvspaper 01-25-2011 10:58 AM

I can't find anything on the Mariner's Star pattern...but if that is one you are doing, let me know because I have some extra pieces I would send you. She does write about buying extra pieces from her though.

One other thing....most of Judy N's patterns require a large degree of preciseness. I am not sure that tracing would give you the same level of preciseness. If anything, I would make copies on a larger copier at Kinko's or other copy shop. And I would make absolutely sure they were exact.

amma 01-25-2011 11:27 AM

I use copiers to run off more copies. I make one copy and them compare them. Make adjustments as needed before continuing. Just make sure you make extra's, so you don't have to go through the hassle again later of making the adjustments.
Also, the adjustments you make on one machine probably won't be exactly the same on another. Each machine will copy slightly different. :D:D:D

nativetexan 01-25-2011 11:54 AM

clotilde.com probably sells rolls of tracing paper. usually used in garment making but good for tracing pp patterns too. thinner than freezer paper. nancy'snotions may have it also.
i have traced using freezer paper though. so either one will work.

MissSandra 01-25-2011 02:14 PM

when I have things I need many copies of I take them to staples and get what I need copied. I have never had an issue, just a thought
Sandra

Candace 01-25-2011 04:01 PM

Tracing is way too much work and inaccurate. Take the largest pieces to kinkos like someone suggested. You're not selling these copies but they're for your own use. I also just take regular size copies of the sections and then tape them together.

Dianne1 01-27-2011 08:34 AM

I just wanted to make an additional quilt for my sister. I have never made a quilt for my self. I have been quilting for 20 years and wind up giving them away.