Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing -- Mistakes I Made (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-mistakes-i-made-t202233.html)

landers1 10-03-2012 05:16 PM

My have had your setbacks but the end result is beautiful

snipforfun 10-03-2012 05:30 PM

Which book are you referring to? Not all of Carols earlier books had cds that were patterns. Some cds were instructional only. If this is the 50 star book, the patterns were on a separate cd that I had to purchase. Also, if you used a copier to reproduce the patterns, they dont always reproduce accurately. I have never had a failure with Carols patterns.

sew1 10-03-2012 07:50 PM

That turned out absolutely gorgeous. Love your colors. The next will be so much easier for all the experience you learned from this one. Keep it up. You did good.

JuneBillie 10-03-2012 10:47 PM

Beautiful quilt you finished. You must be proud. I am still needing to attempt another paper piecing block. I haven't in awhile with a lot of family stuff. Also, with doing a few swaps, etc. I guess it was easy to put off anything that involved a bit more stress than the usual. I still have got to complete one, because I do like to learn new things. I have the beginner Carol Doak Book on paper piecing. I just need to jump in a few days. I had it recommended to me by Jacquie that is away right now I think.

busy fingers 10-03-2012 11:34 PM

That is one stunning quilt.

jclinganrey 10-04-2012 01:21 AM

"Also should have pressed some of my seams open and wound up with lumpy centers so took a mallet and clapper to those" - - - Love this!!! I can just image you pounding the living daylights out of your quilt. Sounds like something I'd do. Your 'beaten up' quilt is just beautiful.

davis2se 10-04-2012 03:30 AM

How wonderful to have made those mistakes, all of which you learned from, and still you came out with an absolutely beautiful quilt. Good for you!!

nabobw 10-04-2012 04:39 AM

very very pretty

pollyjvan9 10-04-2012 05:07 AM

Absolutely gorgeous quilt. Worth all the hassle. My main mistake with PPing was that I cut my pieces of fabric way to small. After I started being way more generous I didn't have any problem. Really did hate cleaning up all those little paper pieces though!

grocifer 10-04-2012 05:18 AM

franc36 -- I'm doing the same class and learning something each month. I have completed seven blocks (I only do one out of two each month) and it is relaxing when you are able to cut, piece and complete in such a short time. As for paper piecing it gets better -- either that or I'm a glutton for punishment as I'm just starting a NY Beauty!

Originally Posted by franc36 (Post 5560323)
Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! You did an outstanding job in spite of your problems. I am doing the paper piecing Craftsy BOM. The blocks look so simple when compared to yours. My first day of working on the blocks, I made so many mistakes. I did not enjoy it. Today, everything went smoothly, no mistakes. I actually enjoyed the paper piecing today.