Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   paper piecing newbie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-newbie-t128092.html)

Buckeye Rose 06-04-2011 06:25 PM

I bought a pattern not realizing that it is paper pieced. I have never attempted paper piecing and am a bit worried that I may be in over my head, but dang I love that pattern. Any suggestions to get me started?

lisainmo 06-04-2011 06:27 PM

Do a quick search on the board for Amma's tutorial..it is excellent!

MissSandra 06-04-2011 06:31 PM

your first peice of fabric is worked onto the backside of the printed paper and upside down make sure its 1/4 inch over each side and pin it then lay fab 2 ontop of it right sides together , turn it over look at it in the light then sew directly on line 1 between space 2 turn it over and press.
sometimes its hard depending on the shapes to get the fabric just right but if I taught myself i think anyone can.
best of luck

QuiltE 06-04-2011 07:22 PM

I just started PPing this last couple of months and have been somewhat teaching myself. I started at QuiltersCache.com and did some learn-to's there!

alikat110 06-04-2011 07:51 PM

Dive in and have fun. Your points are always perfect!!!

Dolphyngyrl 06-04-2011 08:42 PM

youtube has great tutorials, thats how I learned
Also get the add a quarter ruler, it is worth its weight in gold for paper piecing, love it. I am a beginner, and it not that hard, just very time consuming going back and forth with ironing cutting and positioning on the lightbox

craftybear 06-04-2011 09:09 PM

have fun, paper piecing is so much fun and you can google online for videos to watch and tutorials on paper piecing

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I bought a pattern not realizing that it is paper pieced. I have never attempted paper piecing and am a bit worried that I may be in over my head, but dang I love that pattern. Any suggestions to get me started?

no1jan 06-05-2011 02:53 AM

I just started my first paper piecing project yesterday. I was taking an applique class and never expected any paper piecing. Once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

Buckeye Rose 06-05-2011 04:39 AM

I've looked at a couple videos and it doesn't look as bad as I thought in the beginning. But geez, it's messy! and so much going back and forth, I can't imagine how you can get anything done. And it seems like a huge waste of fabric too.

QuiltE 06-05-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I've looked at a couple videos and it doesn't look as bad as I thought in the beginning. But geez, it's messy! and so much going back and forth, I can't imagine how you can get anything done. And it seems like a huge waste of fabric too.

I tend to have a bunch of pieces in the works ... and sew a bunch then trim then off to press, more trimming if needed ... then repeat!

And yes, it's somewhat fiddly though ... especially if you're not doing a whole bunch of blocks.