Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing Paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-paper-t223544.html)

SmickChick 06-12-2013 04:15 PM

Paper Piecing Paper

I heard this tip at our guild meeting so I got some, and it works nicely....Delicatessen paper. I got mine at a GFS, which is a store that caters to restaurants, so Sam's might have it. It is the thin paper that butchers grab meat with, or that you can select your own donut at some stores (unless you're kind of paranoid like me!). Now I need to start piecing!!

(This may have been mentioned before..???...)

BellaBoo 06-12-2013 04:29 PM

I bought these papers at Sam's in a two pack, 500 papers per pack. They are an odd size but work great for foundation piecing not paper piecing.

auntpiggylpn 06-12-2013 04:33 PM

That's a great idea! Can it be run thru a printer? I buy the childrens scribble pads at the Dollar Tree. I just trim the sheets down and run them thru the printer to get my paper piece pattern .

BellaBoo 06-12-2013 04:39 PM

The ink smears on the deli papers I have. I use the paper for string piecing.

KarenK 06-12-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6118917)
I buy the childrens scribble pads at the Dollar Tree. I just trim the sheets down and run them thru the printer to get my paper piece pattern .

I've tried so many different papers and this works the best for me.

PaperPrincess 06-13-2013 03:48 AM

I got almost a full package of onionskin at a resale shop for a buck. I love it for paper piecing. Goes thru my laser printer great and you can see thru it so it makes fabric placement very easy. Tears well too.

eparys 06-13-2013 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6119359)
I got almost a full package of onionskin at a resale shop for a buck. I love it for paper piecing. Goes thru my laser printer great and you can see thru it so it makes fabric placement very easy. Tears well too.

Really? Goes through the laser jet and does not smear? Way cool - I will have to add this to my items I search for. I have seen the butcher paper - but the packs I have seen were not large enough for what I wanted to do and decided that I would not be able to run them through the printer. I currently use the cheap printer paper.

grammyp 06-13-2013 04:47 AM

I asked my doctor for the end of the roll of paper he covers the exam tables with. It cannot be run through a printer, but it works great and is free.

BellaBoo 06-13-2013 05:36 AM

Onion skin is what is used for Bibles. Have you ever seen a Bible not printed on this type of paper? Interesting. I use lightweight translucent vellum for paper piecing. It's my favorite.

mckwilter 06-13-2013 05:53 AM

I don't use paper for paper piecing. I use the June Tailor nonwoven sheets. They come 25 to a pack for around $8 (or less if you have a JoAnn's coupon). They can be run through either an ink jet or lazer printer, you can see through it, and the best thing is that you don't have to tear it out. It does make the blocks a little stiffer, but that's a personal preference.