Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PAPER (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-t71955.html)

Kathi Schofield 10-24-2010 03:58 AM

How is paper used in quilting.....i'm not doing it but read where someone did and just wondering what it's about......i've gotten one square done we'll there's 24 of them....so tense doing this and don't know how to relax.....the next day i hurt all over lol

crashnquilt 10-24-2010 04:04 AM

It is called PAPER PIECING. This method is normally used for very intricate pieced blocks. I have tried paper piecing and at this point am not a big fan. Many people are, but so far it's not quite for me.

Basically, you are sewing upside down and backwards.

There are several good books about paper piecing. My suggestion is any book by Carol Doak.

Kathi Schofield 10-24-2010 04:07 AM

THANK YOU

QuiltswithConvicts 10-24-2010 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Crashnquilt - wish you were closer to me. I'd give you my Mariner's Compass is a day workshop - one-on-one! I just taught 10 ladies from my guild and some of them are newbies a& some just hadn't done any paper piecing, but all have their compasses set into the setting square by the end of the day! I even converted one lady who swore she hated paper piecing into a lover of it! Once you get the hang of it, you'd be hooked. The precision is what I love most about it. My avatar is PPd.

Don't give up. If you can take a workshop, I think youmight come to love it, too. Sometimes just having someone else there to help walk you through the process can make a huge difference.

Compass Workshop Participants
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109358[/ATTACH]

Tinabodina 10-24-2010 04:56 AM

I don't care for PP at all. Just to many steps I guess. Then there is the tear away. To easy to pull a stitch etc. Just not a fan.

Tinabodina 10-24-2010 04:58 AM

Those are beautiful. Maybe if I had a great teacher, I would learn to love it.

MZStitch 10-24-2010 05:17 AM

I think Paper piecing is something every quilter should try. You may not want to make a whole quilt that way, but it sometimes helps with blocks that require precision.
I agree with a previous poster that a great place to start is with a Carol Doak book, I agree, but caution not to just pick any Carol Doak book, but instead a more beginner one. Some of her books I found more difficult because the pieces were very tiny.

scowlkat 10-24-2010 05:37 AM

Or you might try Judy Mathieson's method. I don't know if she has a book (will have to look into that) but saw her on The Quilt Show and think I am going to try it.

featherweight 10-24-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I don't care for PP at all. Just to many steps I guess. Then there is the tear away. To easy to pull a stitch etc. Just not a fan.

They say you either love it or hate it. I have never tried it. I am starting a nine month class on Tue. I sure hope I like it.
I will post a picture when I finish a block.

np3 10-24-2010 07:57 AM

9 month class! Good luck!