Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Patrice.........Ez as falling off a log (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/patrice-ez-falling-off-log-t798.html)

june6995 03-23-2007 09:04 AM

Has anyone seen the new scissors made esspecially for cutting/ clipping the rag quilts. I thought "my goodness, they don't let fingers get too sore before they come up with another product." It was like something I have never seen in the quilt department. Actually it reminded me of a pair of glorified toenail scissors. Does anyone have a pair???

June

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-23-2007 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
Has anyone seen the new scissors made esspecially for cutting/ clipping the rag quilts. I thought "my goodness, they don't let fingers get too sore before they come up with another product." It was like something I have never seen in the quilt department. Actually it reminded me of a pair of glorified toenail scissors. Does anyone have a pair???

June

I have a pair, I think. They are like pliers instead of scissors. You just squeeze and they are spring loaded and open back up on their own.
Mine are Fiskars, a brand I love and trust because of their warranty. I have not used them as of yet. They are still new. I started on a "rag sewing machine cover"...I don't think I'm going to quilt it, not sure, but it is the same concept. I do know one thing!---Those scissors have the sharpest edges and tip on them of anything I have ever seen!!!!! They're like two extremely sharp knives OR thick RAZORS. I'd say they'd work very well on the jeans!! Just be careful with them...I'm afraid to get them out! :roll: (not really)
I got them at Wal-Mart for around $10.

Sharon Gail 03-23-2007 08:19 PM

Hi,
I also have those Fiskars. I love them. :D I have made 15 or so large fleece Throws that were 2 sided and then 10 crib size flannel lined with lt.wt. batting for toddlers and preschoolers. Both kinfd were ragged and were they ever a hit with grandkids and their friends. BTW...they also make a pair just like these but heavier duty to clip or prune flowers in the garden etc.
Happy Quilting.
Sharon Gail

DebJ 06-02-2007 08:15 PM

Maybe because it is late but don't quite get what your saying. Got pics or line drawings. Maybe I just read this again later perhaps it will click then.

patricej 06-03-2007 02:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the files. One is just a line drawing of a basic log cabin block. it's good for coloring in, for glueing audition patches to it, or to use for paper piecing.

The other file is an illustration of the method i use to construct the block without having to do a lot of measuring and precision cutting. if the drawings are too hard to follow, let me know and i'll take photographs of the steps instead.

ceannastahr 06-03-2007 06:31 AM

Now it makes sence to me thanks for the illustrations

Norah 06-03-2007 07:07 AM

[quote=PatriceJ
my very first quilt block was a 3-dimensional bow tie. [/quote]

What is this pattern? That may be one I have been looking for. Would you please share it with us? Please, please, pretty please???

patricej 06-03-2007 07:22 AM

links to instructions:

http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/3DimensionalBowTie.html

http://www.quiltmag.com/proj-tips-bowtie.php

i like the first set of instructions better.

one hint: it's easier to get the finished block into shape, press flat, and make the knots square if you don't sew all the way across the final seam. leave about a 1" gap in the center. (this also leaves a nice little hole if you decide to stuff the bows.)

annmarie 06-03-2007 08:30 AM

Hi Patrice - I still can't get my mind around this. :oops: I viewed your downloaded instructions. Is the blue fabric the "long strip" and are the red pieces sewn on top of it? It would probably help if yu referenced the fabric colors used in your illustration. I'd really like an easier way to do log cabins than all the measuring I've been doing. Thanks, ann

patricej 06-03-2007 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by annmarie
Hi Patrice - I still can't get my mind around this. :oops: I viewed your downloaded instructions. Is the blue fabric the "long strip" and are the red pieces sewn on top of it? It would probably help if yu referenced the fabric colors used in your illustration. I'd really like an easier way to do log cabins than all the measuring I've been doing. Thanks, ann

no need to blush. in the first step, the blue fabric is one long strip, and the red fabric is cut into squares. (i just had an AHAH!!! moment. you don't even need to cut the little red squares. sew the blue and red strips together down the length. press open. cut into the desired size. for example, if your strips are 2.5" wide, then cut the red/blue long strip every 2.5".) sew the red/blue patches to the long yellow strip, then trim to get the red/blue/yellow patch. sew that to the orange strip.

lather, rinse, repeat. :-)