Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pattern blocks - something that quilters might be able to use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-blocks-something-quilters-might-able-use-t23503.html)

bearisgray 07-30-2009 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
these are called pattern blocks - math manipulatives - can be purchased through school supply places and sometimes on e-bay

they come in plastic, rubber, or wood, and various thicknesses.

My grandchildren are the ones that are creative with these!

littlehud 07-30-2009 06:45 PM

Those would be fun to play with and create blocks with. I'm just a kid at heart anyway.

amma 07-30-2009 08:14 PM

How fun for us of ALL ages :wink: :lol: I will be looking for these, thank you!! :D :D :D

b.zang 07-30-2009 08:24 PM

they look like a tangram set

buy one of those - there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of patterns to make with them
(and they're fun to play with :lol: )

bearisgray 07-30-2009 08:33 PM

It's fun to have both around.

I don't remember for positively sure what pieces are in the tangram sets, but I think the only shape they have in common is a square.

sewjoyce 07-31-2009 05:54 AM

Looks like fun!!

Lisanne 07-31-2009 06:04 PM

Oboy, one more thing to add to my wish list, and in large quantities. Yes, I can see playing endlessly with these!

Pam B 07-31-2009 06:25 PM

These look like the pattern blocks my kdg class uses during our Saxon Math lessons. I have always said that if I had learned to quilt when I was a teen, I would not have had nearly as much trouble with HS geometry. And, no...sorry...these pattern blocks do not look like tangrams. A tangram is a square shape made up of 7(if I remember correctly...could be 6...I am on summer vacation) shapes...2 of each: large, medium, and small triangles and a small square. I can picture in my mind...just not remembering exactly. We use them in Kdg sparingly...they are very frustrating for most kdg kiddos.

bearisgray 07-31-2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
These look like the pattern blocks my kdg class uses during our Saxon Math lessons. I have always said that if I had learned to quilt when I was a teen, I would not have had nearly as much trouble with HS geometry. And, no...sorry...these pattern blocks do not look like tangrams. A tangram is a square shape made up of 7(if I remember correctly...could be 6...I am on summer vacation) shapes...2 of each: large, medium, and small triangles and a small square. I can picture in my mind...just not remembering exactly. We use them in Kdg sparingly...they are very frustrating for most kdg kiddos.

This is what they are - I found the first ones at a garage sale - and then I didn't think there were enough to do much with - so I bought some more.

Of course, when the little grandsons were playing with them, there STILL weren't enough!

Pam B 08-01-2009 03:41 AM

Yes, they sure are fun to play with....give my kdg kids a tub of those and they are occupied for a long time. Kind of a fun addition to your quilting room, I would think.