Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-help-t203689.html)

Llsk13 10-19-2012 04:37 PM

Pattern help

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I bought this at a craft sale and would like to make some as gifts but I can't seem to figure out a pattern. Has anyone made one before? It is a cover for a handle of a casserole dish. It seems easy to make but I can't seem to be able to do it.

Ps 150 10-19-2012 04:56 PM

It seems to me that you would start with a larger circle, layer it with the under cloth and serge the ends. Then, I would mark a second circle in the center of the large circle. I would stitch 1/4" elastic around that circle and when I was finished, I would assume that it would pucker up to make it go from a 2D circle to a 3D circle.

Neesie 10-19-2012 05:02 PM

What a brilliant idea!!! Makes a lot more sense, than having to keep reaching for a potholder! :thumbup:

Tartan 10-19-2012 06:16 PM

Do the finished circle. Measure the circumference of the pot knob with the elastic in it's original shape and mark. Cut the elastic a little past the mark for overlapping. Use the #4 stitch to sew the elastic to the inside of the circle and you're done. The #4 on my Bernina is the one that looks like a zig zag but with little stitches. The first one would be a trial until you can get the right spot to sew the elastic onto a circle. To sew elastic that gathers, you anchor the first and the stretch the elastic as you sew until you can overlap the 2 ends a bit.
It looks nice but I have a few cotton crochet dishclothes that I use in the same way. I put one over the know of my corningware and snap on a broccoli elastic. Easy Peasy!

bstock 10-19-2012 06:57 PM

Love your idea!! No idea on pattern. I think Tartan's idea would work.

spokanequilter 10-19-2012 07:09 PM

The others have great ideas and suggestions..... I just think this is the coolest thing ever!! I'm always reaching for a pot holder and not finding one....

Jingle 10-19-2012 07:48 PM

Looks like a good idea, no help on the pattern.

Welcome from Missouri. You will love it here.

BellaBoo 10-19-2012 09:03 PM

I made one using a pony tail elastic band that was close to the size of the lid knob. I made a large circle with batting and then gathered the center of the circle in the elastic band and tacked the elastic band in place. I used the colored band that matched the fabric, the band showed on the outside. I sold over a 100 for $1 at a craft show. I was tired of making them. I know it's not very clear instructions, sorry.

Llsk13 10-20-2012 08:21 AM

Thanks for the responses. I will have to try again.

LoisM 10-20-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5598113)
Do the finished circle. Measure the circumference of the pot knob with the elastic in it's original shape and mark. Cut the elastic a little past the mark for overlapping. Use the #4 stitch to sew the elastic to the inside of the circle and you're done. The #4 on my Bernina is the one that looks like a zig zag but with little stitches. The first one would be a trial until you can get the right spot to sew the elastic onto a circle. To sew elastic that gathers, you anchor the first and the stretch the elastic as you sew until you can overlap the 2 ends a bit.
It looks nice but I have a few cotton crochet dishclothes that I use in the same way. I put one over the know of my corningware and snap on a broccoli elastic. Easy Peasy!

I would love to have the instructions for making the crochet dishcloths. My SIL has a couple and I love them.