Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff Ambition Essential (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-ambition-essential-t207550.html)

TexasSunshine 12-03-2012 06:17 AM

Pfaff Ambition Essential

Does anyone have this machine or knows someone that does? I love Pfaff and my older Pfaff Creative 1471 I bought new in 1986 is still going but I am afraid it will eventually give out. I use it for everything and it always comes through. It is just my go to machine. My local quilt shop has it for $599, is that a good price? I do have other machines, just love that Pfaff.

madamepurl 12-03-2012 06:30 AM

I saw that price too at my local dealer. I miss my older made in West Germany Pfaff Variamatic. I went to Janome when I compared side by side, but this new one has piqued my interest.

greensleeves 12-03-2012 08:20 AM

I have the Pfaff Ambition 1, there are 3 styles. The $599 is most similar to those made in late 80's & early 90's. I know because I have the 1467 that is still working perfectly. I had to send it in for minor repairs and like you figured it would eventually wear out so purchased the Ambition 1 for approx $1000. If the Essential had been available at the time I would have purchased it instead simply because it has all I need for what I use the machine for. I piece, sew on bindings and do some quilting with decorative stitches and always use the built-in walking foot. I also have a Janome and Juki but rarely use either of those. I don't think you will be disappointed buying the Essential if what you want is something similar to the 1471 you now have.

quilter2090 12-03-2012 08:24 AM

Just FYI, I needed a new foot pedal power cord combo for my Pfaff serger. I called the Pfaff dealer nearest me, to find out, he no longer was a Pfaff dearer anymore. The reason that he stopped selling Pfaff's is because he couldn't get parts from the factory quickly. He told me, 6 months or more was common to get parts. I bought a used Pfaff serger at a auction, but it needed a foot pedal and power cord combo. It took almost 6 months to finally get a power cord so that the machine actually work. I,too,like Pfaff's, but this serger will be my last. If you can't get parts in a timely manner, it's not a sewing machine anymore, it's a dust collector. My dealer wishes that Pfaff would become a private company again, he would then sell Pfaff's again. But, since Pfaff is owned by a holding company that also owns Singer and Viking. Just something to consider.

NewbieToQuilting 12-03-2012 08:30 AM

I have the Ambition Essential. It has "everything and more" according to my husband. I paid $200 more at my LQS two months ago. Kinda mad the price has dropped so much! At least I got 5 years of free service with it. My learning curve has been difficult, but if you are already familiar with Pfaff, I think you'll really enjoy it. If you have any questions, let me know!

TexasSunshine 12-03-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks for your comments, I am glad to hear it is like the older Pfaffs. I had to have my pressure foot worked on because it would just quit when I was sewing and then start sewing again. It turned out to be the cord reel and my LQS replaced it. Our LQS is a dealer for Pfaff and has been for years. They are very good and have the most well informed employees. They also sell Baby Lock and Brother.

sewmary 12-03-2012 06:03 PM

I have had a Pfaff Ambition 1.0 for about a year and a hlaf and just love it. I paid about $800 from a show. It has not needed any servicing. The IDT alone is worth the price. Fabric feeds nice and straight.

The only items I bought was a single hole plate and a quarter inch foot with the fence on the side.

This is my second Pfaff. My other is a 2148 (I think).