Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-grand-quilter-1200-owners-t28515.html)

sewNso 11-10-2009 01:09 PM

hi, i'm sewNso. just got a used pfaff grand 1200 quilter. no owners manual with it. why does my thread keep breaking? i am pretty sure i have it threaded correctly. and am using a high quality quilting thread also. any help or ideas? and do you like your pfaff grand 1200? thx

mytwopals 11-10-2009 01:18 PM

I too purchased a used Pfaff GQ 1200. I also got the Grace NextGen frame with my machine.

Have you checked/changed the needle? Perhaps the needle is the incorrect size for the thread you are using. A needle too big or too small for the thread size can cause breakage.

I was able to sew a number of practice pieces and an entire queen quilt without a single thread break on mine. For the quilt, I used YLI invisible thread in the top and Gutterman variegated 100% cotton in the bobbin. For the practice pieces, I was using Gutterman 100% cotton in both, but a different plain color.

sewNso 11-10-2009 01:27 PM

thx, i got a frame with it also. metal, came with the machine when she bought it. yes, i was using gutterman (sp) also. on my practice piece to learn how to quilt. i put it in the shop right away, and had the needle threader adjusted, and the quilting foot fixed. brought it home, and put it on the frame, and walla, breaking my thread. but i could go 4 or 5 ft before it broke. no owners manual, just a vcr tape, and a dvd disc of instructions. Do you have a stictch regulator with yours also? the quilt store who originally sold it to the prev. owner is trying to find me an owners manual.

Prism99 11-10-2009 01:48 PM

Try joining the homequiltingsystems list at http://groups.yahoo.com . Someone there can probably help you. Check the files section before posting, though; there might be a file on thread breakage that you should read before posting.

MadQuilter 11-10-2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Have you checked/changed the needle? Perhaps the needle is the incorrect size for the thread you are using. A needle too big or too small for the thread size can cause breakage.

Don't forget, the Grand takes a special needle (I wanna say H1-something) not one of the standard needles. There is also one way it needs to be inserted (when you insert it wrong, it breaks the thread)

Do you oil it every 2 minutes? (Seems like mine has a healthy appetite for the oil)

sewNso 11-10-2009 03:21 PM

yes, i changed the needle, but i am using just quilting needles. i'll go get some just for a phaff quilter tomorrow. thx. and i will re listen to my vidio, as soon as i can get the t.v. and make sure my tension, and all my numbers are set right. after papa goes to bed.

sewNso 11-10-2009 03:24 PM

so, mad quilter, how long have you had a phaff, and what kind do you have? do you free motion quilt, or try to follow ???pantagraphs?? is that the right word?

MadQuilter 11-10-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso
so, mad quilter, how long have you had a phaff, and what kind do you have? do you free motion quilt, or try to follow ???pantagraphs?? is that the right word?

I have had a Quilt&Craft for years (backup and classes), got a 2056 last year (my worker), and a Grandquilter (that is patiently waiting for me to get off my butt and get to quilting). I have the Handiquilter frame loaded in the loft and when I get the area cleaned out (some overflow from the remodel) I plan to finish the setup - add the cruise control and go to town. (I also have a Brother that I am passing on to a friend.)

Honestly, I don't know why I am afraid of getting started. I am usually not so timid. When ready, it will be FMQ. Don't have any of the pantographs yet.

Shemjo 11-10-2009 03:53 PM

Just want to jump in and say welcome to the board from Missouri!

mytwopals 11-11-2009 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso
thx, i got a frame with it also. metal, came with the machine when she bought it. yes, i was using gutterman (sp) also. on my practice piece to learn how to quilt. i put it in the shop right away, and had the needle threader adjusted, and the quilting foot fixed. brought it home, and put it on the frame, and walla, breaking my thread. but i could go 4 or 5 ft before it broke. no owners manual, just a vcr tape, and a dvd disc of instructions. Do you have a stictch regulator with yours also? the quilt store who originally sold it to the prev. owner is trying to find me an owners manual.

I did get the stitch regulator with my setup. I've since added a Qbot computerized quilting setup to it. With both the Pfaff GrandQuilter and the Viking MegaQuilter (they are the same exact machine), you must use the HLx5 needles. These are special High-Speed needles made specifically for these types of sewing machines. Your problem with the thread breaking may be due to using the incorrect type needle.