Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-quilt-expression-4-a-t67420.html)

DottyD 09-29-2010 10:44 AM

I am really interested in getting the Pfaff QE 4 machine, please may I have your pro's and con's ?
Thank you so much.
Dot in England

Quilting Di 09-29-2010 11:17 AM

I have had the machine for nearly 2 years (her birthday will be October 31st - even missed my grandkids trick or treating that year to pick her up). I love it. When piecing it is a big help to use the straight stitch plate. With the other plate the fabric tends to want to be swallowed by the feed dogs. It is a great machine for FMQ, which I am still working on. When I first got it, I used a roll of practice fabric (3-4" wide from dealer) to stitch out every stitch the machine makes. It is amazing how much more I use the decorative stitches since I can see a sample already stitched and don't have to guess what it will really look like.

Can you tell I love the machine? :thumbup:

MadQuilter 09-29-2010 11:45 AM

Have you owned a Pfaff before? Reason for asking is that the quality of the newer Pfaffs can be less than the older (made in Germany) Pfaffs. Someone who is not used to that "old Pfaff feel" probably won't notice and be totally happy with the new Pfaff.

I read in a review that there was an issue with the table not aligning properly and that the seams flip too easy. Don't know if that has been fixed. That was actually one of the reasons I did not go with that machine at the time I was researching.

Do you have a chance to test drive the machine? To me, that would be the final decision. How she feels- how she handles and how good a deal you can negotiate.

Quilting Di 09-29-2010 11:51 AM

Mad Quilter,

Yes, there is a different feel to the newer models....I also have a 1471 that I purchased in 1987 and Creative Vision 5.0. The 5.0 and QE 4.0 have very similar feel, but both are different than my older one. Just takes some getting used to.

You are right...the best way to see if you will like it is to test drive it. The reason I started with Pfaffs to begin with was that the local dealer insisted that I spend at least an hour playing with it before deciding. I had checked out just about all other brands at that time - one a guy demonstrated, and another a gal demonstrated; both refusing to let me try. Needless to say,they were checked off my list immediately.

Candace 09-29-2010 12:10 PM

Do a search using the search feature above.

sharonmobilia 03-24-2011 12:55 AM

What did you decide, I have started looking at the QE 4.0 and they were looking good until I started reading forums. Crooked seams, eaten fabric... I can get that on my 15yo Janome.

DottyD 04-05-2011 01:12 PM

I bought the machine and I am not happy with it. I am at the moment looking at either selling it or part exchange it for a Janome ?? 6600 or 7700 --- just depends if I can sell it !!