Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff v Babylock (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-v-babylock-t40364.html)

laadw 03-22-2010 03:47 PM

I tried a Pfaff and a Babylock at the quilt fair yesterday. The Babylock felt smoother. The Pfaff felt rough and jerky. I know people have very strong feelings about different brands but if you had the choice, money being no object, which one would you get and why.

quiltnut4ever 03-22-2010 03:48 PM

I actually have both and will by my Pfaff, however I mostly use my babylock for quilting and embroidery and it is a smooth machine. But i love them both! :lol:

heather_campbell 03-22-2010 03:57 PM

I'm not sure about the newer Pfaffs but I have 2 from the early 80s and they are both amazing workhorses. Plus built-in walking foot.

maryb119 03-22-2010 04:52 PM

I have two Pfaff sewing machine and a Pfaff serger. My sewing machines are 7550 and the embroidery machine is a 2144. I love them both. They are upper end machines and are real work horses. My serger runs like a dream. I use all three of them.

littlehud 03-22-2010 05:40 PM

I love my Pfaff. It was one of my best investment.

MadQuilter 03-22-2010 05:47 PM

I just got a new Pfaff and am ready to throw it out the window. Love my old Pfaff though. They must have changed the new designs, because I have heard other Pfaff fans switch over to some other brand recently. Sorry don't know anything about the babylock.

pam1966 03-22-2010 07:46 PM

I've never tried a Pfaff, but I do love my Babylock.

laadw 03-23-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I just got a new Pfaff and am ready to throw it out the window. Love my old Pfaff though. They must have changed the new designs, because I have heard other Pfaff fans switch over to some other brand recently. Sorry don't know anything about the babylock.

Why do you dislike the new one. If I bought one it would be a new one so I am curious.

Newby0709 03-23-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Got my Pfaff in 2004 and feel I made a HUGE mistake but can't afford to correct it. The stitches are undependable, not even. It will suddenly go to a zigzag when I am straight stitching. (That breaks needles if I am using the wrong foot.) While it was under warranty I had the electronic board replaced but it is out of warranty now and would cost too much to fix. I think I just got a lemon and the repairman was not reliable either. blah blah blah

MadQuilter 03-23-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by laadw
Why do you dislike the new one. If I bought one it would be a new one so I am curious.

1. It is persnickety with thin fabric (doesn't like it and sucks it in the feed dogs even with a leader.)
2. It is persnickety with thick fabric (even with a new needle, it is like wading through a bog)
3. The lighting is poor.
4. The bobbin winding is not even.
5. The foot pedal is jerky (but my old Pfaff has the same problem)
6. The thing that drives me insane it the low bobbin indicator. (Pfaff must think I'm a total nincumpoop. It beeps and shows me the low bobbin message which I have to either acknowledge on the screen or restart the foot pedal. Then I am "allowed" to sew between 2" and 5" at a time where we repeat the exercise until the bobbin is finally empty. If thread wasn't as expensive, I would replace the bobbin as soon as the indicator beeps the first time. BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT!)

All that.......no thanks. Mine might actually not live long because I find myself clearing the display with considerable venom.