Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pieced binding for a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pieced-binding-quilt-t119218.html)

Sweeterthanwine 04-27-2011 11:41 AM

I have to piece some fabric together to have enough binding to go around my quilt. In piecing together, do you piece it on the diagonal or just straight . Information will be greatly appreciated.

AliKat 04-27-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
I have to piece some fabric together to have enough binding to go around my quilt. In piecing together, do you piece it on the diagonal or just straight . Information will be greatly appreciated.

I always do the diagonal because it is more aesthetically pleasing. Also, if you want to enter it in a show the quilt it will do much better this way.

ali

MinnieKat 04-27-2011 11:46 AM

For bindings I always do it on the diagonal ... less bulky when you get to the seam.

laughingquilter 04-27-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat

I always do the diagonal because it is more aesthetically pleasing. Also, if you want to enter it in a show the quilt it will do much better this way.

ali

piecing it on the diagonal creates less bulk on the binding as well - otherwise you have a seam front/to back on the binding in the same spot and it causes a "lump" (learned from piecing a flannel binding without doing it on the diagonal! :? )

Bluphrog 04-27-2011 11:54 AM

If I am using the same material to make enough binding to go all around the quilt, I piece it on the diagonal.

However, I have also made pieced bindings with all of the fabrics that are in the quilt. When making this type of pieced binding, I piece them straight.

emerald46 04-27-2011 12:03 PM

I do the same as Bluphrog!

kraftykimberly 04-27-2011 12:07 PM

Diagonal for me, less bulk if the seam is distributed diagonally instead of straight across from top to back. I just like it better but I think its whatever you like and works for you.

Sadiemae 04-27-2011 01:05 PM

I always piece bindings on the diagonal.

jljack 04-27-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
For bindings I always do it on the diagonal ... less bulky when you get to the seam.

Exactly what I would say. If you are using "thinner" cotton, it might be OK to do a straight seam. Usually I do a diagonal seam, though.

GreatStarter 04-27-2011 03:11 PM

Speaking from experience-piece it on the diagonal unless you don't have enough fabric.
Kat